Peugeot 206 1.4 Auto idling issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Forum,

My wife has a '01 206 1.4 automatic. The car starts and idles at 1100 when cold and 800 ish when warm.

Issue - The engine suddenly starts to idle all over the place when she goes to park the car! On selecting reverse or putting the car into park, the engine will rev up and down by itself between 700 - 1500, with foot on brake. This only happens when the engine is warm. The car has only done 38K, last service done at 28K.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Many Thanks

Peter

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like a sticking idle speed control valve. This valve should smoothly corrects the idle speed if the engine runs too fast or too slow. When it sticks, it will 'jolt' the idle speed up, then realises that it's gone too far. It will then 'jolt' the idle speed down again. Realising it's gone too low, it will 'jolt' back up again. This can be caused by a valve that's sticking due to oily deposits from the breather pipe. The cure for this is best left to a professional mechanic, as it may need a new valve.

Thanks Jetex,

I was thinking it might be the ICV but was a bit confused why it was only happening when warm. Will the valve and throttle body just need a clean or will the valve need to be replaced?

How mush should this cost?

Thanks

Peter

You can try spraying carburettor cleaner into the throttle body, but the only rue way to clean it is with an ultrsonic machine. I think you'll probably be looking at a replacement valve though. Sorry, can't help you with costs etc.

Sponsored Links
I had this problem with my 306 and also when it turn on the lights the revs dipped and sometimes stalled.It went back to the mainstealer 6 times and was found to be the ECU at fault.When replaced it was fine.

I`m not saying this is whats wrong with yours but its worth knowing

I hope it's not the ECU. The car seems fine when turning on the lights or air-con. I hope it's only the ICV and not numerous other sensors!

The car is booked in for Monday, so we'll wait and see.

Thanks

Peter

It was the idle control valve. Has now been replaced and so far so good.

Thanks

Peter

I spoke too soon!

It's now a lot worse. Seems to happen when your stuck in traffic and the engine gets a bit hot (+90 C). Wife was in a right panic when it happened stuck in slow moving roadworks. Ive booked it back in to the garage but what do you think it might be? My first thought is the lambda sensor?

I also found an exhaust leak, around the rear connection to the back box. Putting my hand just in front, I get a wet hand with some black sot. Could this be causing the problem?

Thanks

Peter

Lambda sensor or O2 sensor as it is sometimes known measures exhaust gases and if not working properly will lead to overfueling, cant see them causing erratic idling though. :confused:

I can't see the lambda sensor or exhaust blow causing this, and I'm somewhat at a loss of what to suggest next, but do check over any rubber pipes around the fuel injection system for splitting, allowing air ingress.
John :)

Peter, did the garage pull the codes? Surely the quickest way would be to find out if any fault codes exist and go on from there. ;) As John stated in his post, leaking fuel or more importantly vac lines will put you're revs up no end. Watching this thread with interest as my Wife has a 206 Auto as well. :)

OK, a bit more info (see if we can crack this).

Ive looked at all the vac hoses, no obvious leaks but the hose that clips on to the vacuum chamber moves up and down the pipe it clips on to. It moves about 5mm, is the o-ring inside making a proper seal?

One other point. When the car was first bought, the person/garage that did the last oil change overfilled, I removed about 800ml using a vaccum pump on the dipstick tube. Does this have any bearing on the fault?

I took the car to a peugeot dealership. Found no codes, said they tested the ICV and this was faulty. My thoughts, they didn't test anything and just made a rough guess that it was the ICV.

I willl come back later with pictures of the vac hose movement - could you check to see if your wifes moves too?

Thanks

Peter

I think I've found it?

Started the car. Took the hose connection and pulled/pushed in on the hose, and the idle went rough with the engine cold. Do I have a leak here?

Here is a photo of the hose clip/pipe.

Will the whole connector need replacing or just the o-ring?

Thanks

Peter

Peugeot dealer rings me up today to say the pipe fitting is loose but the seal is working.

Told me that the ICV has been "adjusted" and they will fully test tomorrow.

What do they mean by adjusting the ICV?

Thanks

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back