206 Engine issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an issue with my 1999 Peugeot 206 Gti where when the engine is quite warm the engine warning light comes on with a loss power for 2 seconds and then sometimes stalls when the car comes to a halt.

The following has been done to try find out why and cure the problem but with no success

replaced icv
ecu checked for error codes
mobile auto electrician brought in to look at car
throttle body removed and cleaned
icv removed and cleaned
switches/sensors checked and cleaned
new coilpack fitted

picked car up today after all the above was done, after 30mins of driving in the car the warning light came on but the engine did not stall when I had to stop and was still responsive until I got home, where I park at home I have to drive into a turning, stop, reverse back around the corner by 2metres then drive forward so I can park up outside my house and be facing the right way down the road.

When I stopped to reverse, the warning light came on again, the revs dropped and could hear it was struggling to pick up the revs and the engine soon cut out, started it up again without giving it any gas, this time the rev needle was on the 1st indicator above the 0revs until i gave it some gas and it went upto 6000rpm and after a few seconds the revs dropped right down and the engine cut out.

I parked the car and sat there with the engine running, the engine would idle normally, but then less than a minute the engine would die without warning, you can start it again and it leave it, again for under a minute and it would cut out.

The garage that has been looking at the car have said if they replace the throttle switch it might cure it but they can't say for definite. How do you know if the ecu is faulty? Just curious as to why there is no code showing because the mechanic said, if the engine warning light comes on 3 times within a short time it should register a code.

Sponsored Links
i would expect a heat related problem to be an electrical fault of some description but wouldnt know where to suggest on this one
its worth checking all connections to engine sensors and the general overall condition of coil pack insulation first
two sensors i would look at also would be the crank sensor and coolant temp sensor

Sponsored Links
Back