Peugeot 206 1.4 Auto idling issue?

No the fan wont come on with the AC, only when the engine gets really hot. Just leave the engine ticking over and it should come on as the temp goes above normal. As if you were stopped in heavy traffic.

Probably wont see the fault with the ETC using an ohmmeter as it must be within working tolerance or it would put the engine fault light on. But it still could be faulty at a particular part of its range.
Some go up in resistance (PTC) and some go down in resistance (NTC) as the coolant temperature rises. I don't know what type the 206 uses.

If the engine doesn't get a good reading from the ETC it will do its best to run properly.

Nip all vacuum pipes to find possible leaks. Try spraying a fluid on the joints (WD40) to try and get the engine to run better.

I'm sure the technician is pulling his/her hair out as it can be quite difficult to pin point such a problem, and not leave you with a big bill for components that are not necessary.

Sponsored Links
I understand the frustrations that the technician is going through, I spoke to the guy last time I dropped the car off. He wants to illiminate the simple things first, he was going to check for vaccum leaks and then test all the wiring from the ECU. I don't know what he is going to do next, will find out Monday.

Thanks again.

Peter

Problem solved.

I spoke directly to the workshop supervisor on Monday who told me they had gone over everything, all sensors we're checked, the inlet manifold and throttle housing we're checked. Bloke said an 'old school' technician with 20 years experience from another dealership was coming to have a look.

Well he found the problem. The purge valve was not closing and was allowing vapour and air in to the engine at idle.

Anyway, good to have it fixed.

Thanks Everyone for the advice.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Hi DIYheadache/Peter,
I came across this thread because I am having the same issues as you had (it has been years ago) but I was hoping you could help.

I have been to peugeot myself and they have done the whole ECU upgrade, throttle adaptor, throttle body clean, tightening things here and there etc to try to resolve the idle at auto issue but nothing has worked. The end result was, 1. Bring it in again for further testing (more money, it's out of warranty) or change the entire throttle Body (almost $1000!!!) which they said they can't guarantee that would even solve the problem.

I was wondering, when you had these issues, did you happen to notice whether your headlights and lights inside the car would pulse 'brighter and dim' along with the up and down revving? As you describe your issues, mines exactly the same however, my lights would pulse as well.

Please respond if you can. Like you, this has been going for over a month for me now and like your wife, it is not good to drive in traffic jams and makes me quite nervous.

Also, at the end you said it was a purge valve not closing... do you know what they did to make it close the way it should?

Thanks

Hi wy043,

Sorry to hear of you troubles, I know how bad it can be. I'm affraid this was never really solved, the purge valve was replaced but this never totally cured the problem!

The engine had a habit of holding high revs when started cold, this reduced as the weather warmed up. The reving up and down stopped, until I unpluged the battery to replace the sump gasket/sealant. The ECU reverted to default settings, so this made me think the ECU had learnt to adapt to the issue. Maybe the issue was fuelling or a vaccum leak around the throttle shaft, I don't know.

I no longer have the car and the problem was never solved, sorry.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for your reply. It's a shame the problem was never really resolved. :(

From your experience, would you suggest it's worth trying a whole new throttle body for $950 or not?
And you said the purge valve stopped the up and down revs.. Until you unplugged the battery? How long did this stop for? I think for now I would be happy even for a temporary fix!!

Thank U

Wy

Wy,

The revving up and down went, but sometimes the engine would hold high revs when you came to a stop. I think the ECU had learnt to adapt to the problem, if that makes sense, when the battery was unplugged the ECU reset to default values, therefore the problem returned. The revving was reduced after a few hundred miles and returned to as it was before i.e. holding high revs during start-up and when you came to a stop when engine warm.

The purge valve can be tested for leaks, and also electrically to see if the coil has gone. Make sure you’ve checked everything that’s in this post; IACV, vac hoses, coolant temperature sensor, gaskets etc. $950 (£580) seems a bit high to me for something that may not solve the problem.

Best wishes

Peter

Thank you for taking your time to reply to me Peter.

I do not know much about cars at all. I can only take it to mechanics who up to now, don't know what's causing this and I've spend hundreds on this issue already with no hope.

I hope you can answer a couple more questions to help me elimate some things.

Revs up and down on idle - were your lights playing up along with the revs too?

How long were your revs up and down fixed for until you encountered the high revs issue?

Why did you continue to unplug the battery and reset the ECU if driving few hundred miles improved the high revs?

For now, I've only got the revs jumping when I stop alot. When I'm driving at night at hardly stopping I can drive an hour or so without the idling problem.

Thank u again

Wy

Hi Wy,

1) Never noticed any problem with the lights. Has the garage checked the earth strap?

2) One was replaced by the other. The up/down went the high revs replaced it.

3) No, the battery was unplugged when I replaced a leaking sump gasket. It was then I noticed the problem come back again, it then got better after a few hundred miles.

We learnt to live with the problem but we had to get rid of the car due to an unrelated problem with the engine.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks. From what you have said, I now don't think our problems are exactly the same as my headlights and radio station display & aircon displays lights would flicker the same rate as the revs.

The lights were very obvious at night so if you have never noticed this with your car, we may have different problems.

I'm stumped about it all. Peugeot have advised me I should just wait until the problem gets worse so they can better diagnose the pprblem.

Thanks again for all your help.

Wy

Sponsored Links
Back