Peugeot 206 - rough running after start up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon, I hope you are all well?

I am looking for a little guidance re my Peugeot 206, 1.4 LX, W reg (2000). The car will start up first time, every time. However a regular problem has started to occur, after around 400 yards (every time) the car will start to lose power and kangaroo before kicking back into life. The car does not stall, there is just a distinct lack of power for around 5 - 10 seconds. After pressing the clutch and reving the engine the power comes back ad the car seems to run fine. The engine light does not come on during this point. The same issues also happens if I leave the car standing from start up with the engine running, it takes around 4 mins to kick in but the problems occurs. It seems to tie in with the automatic choke turning off and the engine revs dropping (when idle) from just under a 1000 to just below 800.

I ran a few tests the other day where I would just stop the car, turn off the engine and leave the car sat for a few minutes. The car would start fine, pull away fine and then again after around 300 yards start to kangaroo, however, not as bad as when first started in the morning or from cold.

The fuel pump and filter were changed not long back and the car has newish spark plugs. I have ordered a replacement 2nd hand Coil Pack to see if this may be the problem, but this has not arrived yet.

Any suggests on what this may be please?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Sponsored Links
ECU temperature sensor (not the one for the gauge in the dash, if you have two fitted)

Check the fault code for guidance, your local independent garage will do this for you for a small fee. Make it clear to them you are on a budget and thats all you want them to do.

Thank you for such a quick reply.

Do you know a here on the engine the ECU temp sensor be situated ?

Tks

Andy

Sorry Mursal, another silly question I guess.

When you say ECU Temperature Sensor, is this the same as the Engine management system coolant temperature sensor?

Sorry to be a pain

Andy

Sponsored Links
Yes it is, the same
No I dont know where it is situated, but it will be on the top half of the engine.

Andy post up engine type number, or vehicle vin number, and I'll have a look in Peugeot Service Box program and see if there is a diagram showing location.

If there is I'll post it up for you.

Evening gents,

I have now fitted a 2nd hand coil pack and a new engine management system coolant temperature sensor (green connector) and still no joy. Any other thoughts as this is now doing my head in lol

Andy

Think you are right mursal.

Will have to see if I can get someone to read the ECU. Is it a specific type for this car or will a standard code reading unit work? I guess due to the year it's not a OBD II connector

Andy

should a routine Peugeot 24-month service include reading and resetting the codes?

isn't there a fault indicator on the dashboard?

My other car has a potential fault code description "C2303 - Reservoir Plausibility Error"
must mean "I don't belieeeeeeeeeve it!"
made me laugh.
Never had it :(

Mursal / All,

I have managed to get the ECU read by a gent who has Peugeot Planet here in Norwich, the codes description which came up are as follows:-

- Inlet air thermistor function. Short-circuit to positive or circuit

- Throttle Potentiometer function

- Idle regulation Stepper Motor control Function

Thanks and I await any assistance if you can provide it.

Regards

Andy

Check the air temperature sensor for bad dirty connection, it looks like this and will be bolted to the inlet manifold (top of engine) before replacing.

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_trksid=m570.l3201&_nkw=peugeot+206+1.4+air+temp+sensor&_sacat=0

Next would be to clean IAC (what they refer to as the stepper motor malfunction) valve with carburetor cleaner and see if the problem get any better. Then look at throttle position sensor.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=peugeot+206+iac+valve+cleaning

Did he clear the codes and wait to see what reappeared, or did you see him do the read?

Hi Mursal,

I did just clean the throttle body and change the stepper motor for a 2nd hand one from a breakers yard. Due to the fact the problem still exists then I am removing the stepper motor. Ill look at cleaning the connectors / replacing the air temp sensor to make sure this is working fine also.

I read the codes off the Peugeot planet as he did the diagnostics. We did clear the faults but when the car was running up and the loss in power happened again, the codes did not record again on the ecu.

Sponsored Links
Back