Rover 25 head gasket repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum bought a cheap 2000 £400 Rover 25 last year for a run around. The guy who sold it told us that the head gasket had just been replaced and that he had done the work himself. He even showed us the old gasket. One year on and the car has been boiling over for some time. The garage have been head scratching for some time thinking to just take out the thermostat but now it seems the head gasket has gone. Anyway, they have quoted £450 which is way too expensive for this age of car. I have been looking at some of these sealants you can buy and was wondering if they are worth a gamble just to keep it going for another year or so ? If not, what is the average price of a head gasket replacement at a garage as we could shop around ?

Sponsored Links
Depending on engine fitted to vehicle simple head gasket replacement is not really worthwhile.

Head needs removing and being skimmed, as they warp, otherwise you will be continually replacing head gasket.

As with many cars boiling it once is often enough to cause it to fail, if its been boiled a number of times you could have a cracked head as well Contrary to popular belief a failed gasket in itself doesn't cause the engine to boil, its the pressure build up expelling the water that causes boiling.

As already expressed, unless you are going to do the job yourself which you should be able to do for less than a £100 if the head is OK its probably not worth doing, you could fit a secondhand head if its in good condition.

Peter

It's the bloomin' K series.......ok in it's smallest capacity form maybe, but Nowt but bother anywhere else.
I've done a couple, but wish I hadn't as they came back to haunt ......one was in an Elise - new head needed there :eek:
John :)

Sponsored Links
If its leaking that badly I wouldn't think it stands a chance. You could try leaving the filler cap loose, if its not to bad the pressure may be able to escape without blowing the water out, if it still blows out I would think its beyond redemption.

Peter

With all that sort of "miracle cure" stuff, you're going to get some who have had success, and some failures. Personally, at best I'd look at any of it as a temporary stop gap to last until you could do the head gasket.
The only proper, permanent cure with those engines (or any other for that matter) is to skim / replace the head and the gasket.
Mate of mine had a Rover like that, and when he first had it the head gasket had supposedly been done. Few thousand and it needed doing again. To be fair he did tens of thousands after until he sold it with no problems.

Bad design, if they get a good bit of heat the liners in the engine block slip down leaving it very hard for a new gasket to seal the joint.
Liquid sealants are OK for an external coolant leak as a short fix. Radweld sometimes works for a while on more extreme cracks, but the pressures are very high for a liquid to reseal even the smallest leak.
But what have you got to loose?
Keep in mind that quote is only to fit a gasket, don't think they could say how long it would last?
Obviously that's why it was sold.
Did you not ask the very same questions before you purchased the car, or was that someone else ........ :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back