rover head gasket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i found oil sludge in the water header tank of my 216 , k series.
a local garage diagnosed head gasket , so work was done.
£450 later and the car was back , the head been skimmed and pressure tested, the oil and filter changed, water pump resealed, ( probable cause?)
thermostat changed, timing belt changed.

Car drove home ok , so when i checked under ther bonnet to see what was what, i was concerned thet the header tank was still containing sludgy looking water. I went back to the garage to be told that it had been flushed and this was just the residue left in the pipes. No antifreeze had been added at this point , he said this would be best done in autumn.

He did not ask me to bring it back after (X) miles to retighten the head.

Does this sound like ive been done , or is this sounding normal ???

Sponsored Links
The head bolts do not need to be retightened.
I think you should flush the system out a couple of times yourself then monitor levels etc.

You do get residues for a short while,a flushing additive to the header will help to clear it.If the oil in the water does not start to subside after flushing,take it back to the garage.

Get the Haynes manual and follow instructions for flushing the system then you can't go wrong.

;)

Dunno about adding antifreeze in autumn, it also acts as a corrosion inhibitor so wont do any harm to have it in there now.

Hitachimad said:
Dunno about adding antifreeze in autumn, it also acts as a corrosion inhibitor so wont do any harm to have it in there now.

id agree,especially if its an ali head

Sponsored Links
thanks for the info. guys.
puts my mind at ease, i'll get cracking with the clean up operation.

Back