Head gasket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys got a bit of a dilema, my water coolant bottle looses the water after about 1 week. its mixing with the oil,the dipstick is a bit creamy in colour.

I know someone who is self employed mechanic and he says its the head gasket, needs replace,head skimming and a new timing belt cost £430.

I took it to the garage I usualy use for m.o.t. and is a good garage last twice car past with no work required.
The mechanic told me he doesn't think its the head gasket as the car is running great just like normal and always starts first time,he reckons the seal on the water pump tends to wear away and reckons thats how the water is getting in with the oil.

He would have to strip it down change it,and reset timing belt cost £250,but if it was the head gasket your talking £800,but he is nearly sure its not the head gasket.
Any advice as only work part time and the difference is £180 but want to be sure.

Thanks Romario

Sponsored Links
You don't say what make of vehicle this is, but water mixing with the oil is due either to head gasket issues or oil cooler leaks - either way, a garage can do a sniff test of the air above the coolant in the expansion bottle which will let you know for certain.
I can't see how water pump problems can cause this scenario though.
John :)

Water getting into the oil via a faulty water pump? never!
As Burnerman says, headgasket, the most likely.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
If you are loosing water check around the filler cap and overflow pipe for traces of dry antifreeze. If the gasket is leaking into the cooling system the pressure will expel the water there.

Peter

if its the same engine as fitted to a corsa etc with a timing chain there is a gasket under the timing chain cover which can fail causing the oil and water to mix

Sponsored Links
Back