Rover 416 sli twin over head cam 16v 1.6l over heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a rover 416 sli 16v 1.6 with twin over head cam (petrol) on a (v reg) year 1999 107k miles

a month ago i was losing water but couldn't find where it was until one of the cooling hoses split. i replaced the cooling hose refilled with anti freeze and water 70/30 mix due to the extreme cold wether but the last two weeks i started losing water from the top hose going from the radiator into the engine block is this a sign that the head gasket has gone?

is there and where which stocks hoses for rover other than monty smith. and is it recommended to try some k-weld before i go for a gasket change as the car valve is less then the price of the job
as i just need a temp fix for 6 months til i get a new car?

Sponsored Links
no sign of water and oil mixing any where! i've not long had an oil change (in the last 100 mile) and the oil is still cleen. the cooling fan is starting and stopping at the right temperatures could it be a fault on the thermostat causing the hoses to blow?

change the coolant expansion tank cap. Sounds like the system is overpressurising, and the cap is probably not releasing the pressure like it should

Sponsored Links
sorry i should have said that i changed the pressure relief cap on the filler tank the same time i replaced the hose

is there any where in cardiff which stock hoses for rover as i need to replace the hose before i atempt any work on the car???????????????

sorry i should have said that i changed the pressure relief cap on the filler tank the same time i replaced the hose

is there any where in cardiff which stock hoses for rover as i need to replace the hose before i atempt any work on the car???????????????

Hi,
If you haven't sorted the problem yet then this may help.
Start the car up without the expansion cap on. If the coolant rises rapidly and overflows within seconds or before the engine get anywhere near hot then it is more than likely a head gasket problem. However if the coolant rises and is thrown out after a good few minutes (just before thermostat would normally open) engine hot, then it is possibly the the thermostat jammed shut and pressurising the system. Any blockage i.e radiator, could do the same but go for the easiest first (stat). As for where to get the hoses, try the MG owners club online. They do all sorts of rover hoses.

Back