Ford FoCus over heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1.6 Zetec, 2003 100,000 miles Just had a new thermostat housing and stat fitted now cooling system is red lining on motorway, been back to garage mechanic says radiator blocked top hose hot bottom cool. I tried pumping top hose by hand and can get hot water to go through to the bottom pipe.Could this mean rad is partially blocked and pump cannot over come heater matrix is working fine as this lowers temp out of red. I don't mind paying for repairs just want it to be the right one. Also I know car is getting on but not got finances in place for replacement yet and I need to make sure its fit to trade in when time comes thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'd agree with the mechanics diagnosis.....the radiator cannot dissipate enough heat into the air flowing through it.
John :)

The electric fan on the radiator cut in, as it should?

Secondhand rad from a breaker if not leaking will be fine, just some will turn their nose up for fitting it.

you might want to ask on the ford focus forum on this?think this could be a common problem so they should be able to offer a quick fix?
also check to see if the return pipe to the expansion bottle hasnt got a blockage,on some cars theres what looks like a plastic ball in there and this gets dislodged and stops the return??

Sponsored Links
Unusual but not impossible to have a blocked radiator, maybe worth running a hose through it to observe the flow.
Could even be a failed water pump.

does the temp suddenly shoot up? and then go down just as quick at random?
If so, then it is probably air in the cooling system.

The fact that you have had the t/stat changed would back up this theory.

It need to be bled properly. Some cars have bleed screws in the cooling system, some are self bleeding.

What's the coolant level like in your radiator and expansion tank?

That used to be the classic fault with older cars on account of people topping them up with tap water but shouldn't happen with modern coolants unless its been leaking then topped up, it certainly sounds to be your problem though.

Peter

Could well be, it will be blowing coolant out of the expansion tank overflow. I have had more than I can remember :(

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back