Economy 7 immersion heater tank!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have been looking around for a new hot water tank with 2 immersion heaters and a cold water header tank at the top of it and there are alot to choose from, can anyone recommend a decent one that is worth getting? Many thanks for any advice :)

Sponsored Links
If i can lose the header tank on top of of the tank then that will be great for me! I guess i needed like for like as in i needed a tank with the ball cock system at the top of the tank but if i can get a different tank that will be ok for my flat then i will start looking about for one then! Can you recommend a decent one at all?

Depends on how much hot water you need to store for a day's baths/showers and how much space you have available. You can get tall skinny ones, short fat ones, and even horizontal ones. For unvented you will require a pressure relief discharge pipe and this must be installed by a plumber with an unvented hot water certificate.

Sponsored Links
Yep, if you can, you want to avoid a combination cylinder as your hot water pressure will be rubbish, I would guess?

You need to have someone it to survey your mains pressure and flow first to ensure your supply can sustain an un-vented cylinder (check he's suitably qualified to install an unvented cylinder - UVHW/G3 qualified) and there is a suitable site to locate. If it can, it's certainly a much better option.

Thank you for the info guys, i have very high ceilings so height is no problem. I did wonder why my hot water pressure was rubbish and that is why, great another problem sorted!! Also thanks for the warning on the safety issue regarding the installation of these types of tanks as i am not too sure if my plumber is qualified to install them so will certainly double check with him and make sure he knows what he is doing!! Thank you again for your help!!!

Just ask him to show you his UHW10/G3 ticket that proves he is qualified. BPEC Example found on the web attached below.

Bpec%20Hot%20Water%20Storage%20card.jpg
IMGBpec%20Water%20Storage%20-%20reverse.jpg

May also be on his GS card if he is Gas Safe Registered

Ok Madrab will ask him to show me that card before he starts to install it. Thanks for the info would not have asked him as did not know he needed that card to install a cylinder tank!!

It'll be a card like that or similar Pebbles, only needed for an un-vented cylinder installation. They can be very dangerous if not installed correctly, hence the legal need for the qualification. Normal vented cylinders don't require the qualification.

When things go wrong -

This is worst case of course but highlights the need to use a qualified installer. They're very safe when installed properly and looked after.

The qualification is needed for unvented cylinders over 15 litres. (And Mr Cann-Maclean's expires in 4 days)

Just ask him to show you his UHW10/G3 ticket that proves he is qualified. BPEC Example found on the web attached below.

Bpec%20Hot%20Water%20Storage%20card.jpg
IMGBpec%20Water%20Storage%20-%20reverse.jpg

jesus he looks young for 50 years old , lucky bug@er , :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Now that is scary that video, i remember a good few years ago a house nearby me had a new cylinder put in and it exploded and the house caught fire so i guess that is the type of cylinder that was put in by a unqualified plumber!! Always remember that and have always had a fear at the back of my mind about my tank exploding! Think i just might stick to a tank with a header tank on top never had any prblems with my old tank, just need to replace it as it is old now!!

It has numerous fail safes that protect the system so there's no need to worry and that's really an extreme, even an old style cylinder could do that if the vent ever blocked up and the immersion ran wild but things like that are extremely rare.
The benefits are mains hot water pressure, if it can be fitted, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner (y)

I would never recommend a combination cylinder these days as there are much better alternatives but they are a much of a muchness. Get your local independent in to recommend and fit.

Ok Mandrab looks alot better than a combination cylinder and i guess i will get better pressure on my hotwater! Would have needed a pump fitted too if i went for a old style tank! Feel alot better now that it has numerous fail safes built in!! Got plenty of room for this type of cylinder so will call my plumber in and get him to recommend a type i need! Thanks for your help and advice!!

Ok Mandrab looks alot better than a combination cylinder and i guess i will get better pressure on my hotwater! Would have needed a pump fitted too if i went for a old style tank! Feel alot better now that it has numerous fail safes built in!! Got plenty of room for this type of cylinder so will call my plumber in and get him to recommend a type i need! Thanks for your help and advice!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back