economy 7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, to settle an argument please...
In an economy 7 installation, even though there may be 2 CU's (1 for heaters, immersion etc, 1 for normal everyday circuits) all electrickery used in the off peak time will be at the off peak rate regardless of which circuit is drawing a load. For example if I have a tumble dryer which is plugged into my ring main via a time switch set to come on at 3am the electricity will be at the cheap rate?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have 1 meter and it has a high reading and a low reading and a separate time switch. I say that ALL electric used between midnight and 7am goes on the low reading regardless of the circuit thats used it. My colleague argues that only the electric used by the night storage heaters and immersion will be at the low rate. He argues that despite my tumble drier coming on at 3am it will be charged at the higher rate because its not on the same CU as the heaters/immersion. I'm 99% sure i'm right. Arent I? :confused:

Yes. Can you take a picture of the whole supply and post it on here?

Sponsored Links
my meters
meters.jpg

If you have got one meter for everything and it switches between rates then everything thats on at low rate will be on the low rate tarriff, if you had storage heaters there would be a DNO contactor to engergise a separate CU. This is the type of setup we have ( http://www.electro-zone.co.uk/other/diynot/home/meter.jpg ), and we do save money by running the washing machine and dishwasher on offpeak hours

If you have two meters (one is usually white) each with one rate on, then one meter is always on high rate and feeds the normal CU at normal rate all the time, the other one is low rate and only feeds a second CU, and is only energised for certain hours, this type of setup is only really any use if you actually have storage heaters!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back