Economy 9 woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter and partner are renting a flat in London that has Dual MPAN Economy 9, supplied by EDF. This is proving troublesome (expensive to run). She did try switching supplier, without realising, and another supplier took it on, only to find they couldn't bill, so it's reverting back to EDF, with various issues ongoing.

The main problem is the cost of heating (particularly given current prices and the recent cold weather).

Domestic hot water is apparently off a direct cylinder with two immersion heaters (main and boost). Heating is by water fed radiators with a Hectare Sadia Amptec C600 6kW electric flow boiler. There's a dual channel controller. That wasn't programmed correctly when she moved in but has now been set up to heat the hot water for a few hours during the night. All rads except one have TRVs fitted (one is the bypass). There's a wall stat that's part of an 'air conditioning' cooling and ventilation system - though this is an a different room to the bypass radiator.

Working from photos/descriptions over the phone, I cannot see how the main immersion heater is fed - nor the heating. One 16A MCB on the distribution board is marked as 'boost' presumably for the upper immersion heater. A 32A MCB is labelled as boiler. The other MCBs cover socket outlets and lighting etc.

There appear to be two live tails from the meter, which is in a remote cupboard out in the corridor. I don't know how these are connected in the distribution board.

The heating appears to come on when called for, regardless if on rate 1 or rate 2.

I had understood that the rate 2 supply should be for heating and hotter only (so off just one of the meter tails) - and that if required, hot water and heating should only be drawing from the 'rate 2' supply, when it's active. This doesn't seem to be the case.

EDF are apparently charging 45p a unit for the rate 1 (peak) electric. Rate 2 (off peak) is supposedly available for a total of 9 hours - 7 hours during the period 8PM to 7:30 AM and 2 hours during 1PM to 4PM. This is switched in/out according to their discretion with a telemetry meter. You never really know when Rate 2 is active unless you go and view the meter (have to get a key to do so). I see that EDF say something similar about their E7 which is not a continuous period.

The heating is needed, and seems to be active, during some of the peak hours (hot water could be drawing power during peak times too). This costing a lot and the one bedroom flat is costing more to run than our detached house.

Two main questions - is the E9 tariff exempt from the energy price cap of 35p ? and any suggestions on how to improve things?

Ideally there would be storage heaters to store that off peak energy for later use, but there are not, and there are limits with what the landlord will permit. And to recap I can't be sure how things are wired up. I may know more if and when I go there again and inspect the fuse board.

Sponsored Links
With wet electric central heating then unfortunately if it's used at peak times then that's the tariff they will be charged per Kw/h. Economy 7/9 is the best using for storage heaters, with cheaper overnight leccy, but no matter what, using leccy to provide heating and hot water is always going to be the most expensive.

The price cap is relative to all electricity but all it does is cap the rate, not the maximum the bill can be, so the more leccy that's used (especially @ peak) then the higher the bill will be regardless.

Storage heaters are a nightmare too though as they aren't very contrable and tend to have lost their heat when it's needed most and then everyone uses the boost function @ peak rate anyway.

The cap wont apply as the supplier is allowed to take into account the “average” price of the electricity used. So in effect calculating the “capped” price taking both rate 1 and rate 2 useage into account. I have a similar situation with ny cheaper rate to charge my electric car.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back