EDF / Service provider Supply cable too small. Who pays?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have this set up:

From the Public road a sheathed (x two L + N) 16mm cable comes up from ground onto the side of my neighbours building (detached pub) it runs along his building unsheathed to the back of his property and then overhead in 16mm to the front gable of my other neighbour whose house is semi detached/attached to mine. The cable splits and goes to his 60 amp cutout in 16mm. And alos goes through his loft space (unsheathed through two brick caables no conduit) in 16mm to my cutout.

My original request from EDF was for a replacement cutout on my side changing 60 amp to 100 amp.

They took a look and said that they would not be able to replace the fuse because the supply cable is too small. However they said I would be liable for the cost of total replacement if I was to definately need a 100amp, including digging up main road. Originally they spoke of replacing it with a 3 phase supply, but my electrician was at hand by this point to say that this was totally OTT.

However there is no doubt that cable size is not big enough. But My point would be that it is not big enough to supply the two 60 amp supplys we have at the moment. With it passing through my neighbours loft space the current set up is dangerous.

My point would be that there is no way I can afford to pay for the upgrade, so I will perservere with the 60 amp but will be using it to its limits. If my neighbour is doing the same then there is potential risk to both of my neighbours from supply cable belonging to EDF.

A 16mm is rated (Table 4d1a BS7671) 16 mm = 87 amps.

If they agree to replace the cable they may be obliging and then look at replacing the main fuse to 100amp!

What do you all think? Does any one have any experience of how I should handle this or what sort of outcome I may expect?

Sponsored Links
From your description the split is before it enters your neighbour's loft, so the cable running there is not overloaded.

You could argue that before the split it is, but that will probably get you nowhere - have you ever seen the size of the cables buried in the streets that supply whole rows of houses?

The DNOs know full well from experience of real-life diversity what the maximum sustained load is on their final distribution cables, and my guess (TBH that's all it is) is that they won't replace the cable without you paying.

I take it your neighbour wouldn't be interested in sharing the cost?

Why do you want the 60A replaced? Have you ever popped it?

Thats the impression I got from the guys who came to have alook.

The reason i wish to replace the fuse is cos Im doing a large extension with outside workshop/shed and sub metered grany flat.

However if we can work it ( my electrician and i ) lessen the loading and work diversity out accordingly, we will have to stick with the 60 amp fuse.

What do you think ?

Get a quote for a new supply from EDF to the Granny flat, could probably work out less expensive than upgrading your exisiting supply.

Sponsored Links
The rules for connection charges changed in 2005. You now have to pay the full cost of plant that carries only your load. If you increase your maximum demand and the supply capacity has to be increased to cater for it, you pay the cost of anything the DNO installs and the cost of any network reinforcement that's required.

You used to get an allowance for extra load, that's why dannyboi suggests a new supply for the Granny flat. Sorry, that won't work anymore.

If I were you, I'd keep going with the existing supply. If it pops the service fuse a couple of times, you have to augment your connection capacity and that'll cost. But you'd be no worse off if you were to augment now. You will probably get away with it and save the cost.

Stoady sorry just looked up the word "augment" and re-read what you wrote - and I understand completely now.

Yes I tend to agree with you . Go with what Ive got, If it becomes unmanageable then augment. IF not, and it copes I'm quids in.

THanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back