Edge of tiles temporary repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to paint the render at the back of the house. Its a single storey extension, with a tiled roof. The tiles come right to the edge of the wall and the render is damaged a little at the top. I think rain can get behind the render, which might cause problems.

We are hoping to have the roof done next year, so want to do something temporary for now.

I was thinking of just some flashing tape to cover the gap. Is this a good idea or is there a better temp fix? If it will be ok, any recommendations on what to use?

Heres our extension with the tiles...

And here is our neighbours house, where they seem to have used tape to fix the same problem. Doesn't look great, but hopefully does a job? Been there for 2 or more years....

Sponsored Links
Given that you are having the roof done next year, perhaps, the best bet would be to fill the gaps with a semi-dry mix of sand and cement.

Dont use the Flashband. Its actually failed and split on your neighbours roof verge.

Maybe, for next year, google some pics of fibre cement undercloak, and where and how its fixed under slate?

The render has been repaired just below the verge, perhaps because of water entering from the top?

Forgot to mention that there's various dry verge (plastic) units that could be fixed with a new roof.

Thanks Ree.

Next doors flash band doesn't look too damaged considering the time it's been up. I just thought it would be a quick temp solution. I reckon I would make it look rubbish and a mess with a sand cement fix.

I have had a look at some of the verges you mention and that's been really helpful for when we get the roof done. It will look a lot better! I presume nothing like that can be easily retro fitted?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back