Problem with Gable End roofing tiles - advice please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with rain water running off the roofing tiles and down the south facing gable end rendering, causing damp penetration of the rendering on the gable end of our cottage (see photograph - damp on inside walls equates to dark patches on render).

The building was originally built in the 1400s, so the walls are not square. The result is that the roofing tiles are not square at the gable end (see photograph).

A very helpful builder has suggested I need to retrofit some kind of dry verge strip to guide the rain water run off to the gutter and prevent it running down the wall, but isn't a roofing or tiling expert so isn't sure which kind or how.

Is there a roofing expert on here who can advise on how to deal with this problem? If it's relatively simple to do, I'd like to do the job myself as I will have scaffolding up to repair, waterproof and paint the rendering, but am happy to employ a roofing expert if necessary.

Please could someone with roofing tile experience advise me?

View media item 87236 View media item 87237

Sponsored Links
Usually these days we use a plastic verge.
It will mean hacking off all the old cement under the tiles (i think thats what's there going from the photo).
Once hacked out, you need to get the verge under the tiles, which will be tricky. and then cement the verge in properly.

I assume you are not in Newcastle upon Tyne?

You need a plastic verge like this.

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk...-length.html?gclid=CLST7e6n6cICFSnKtAodgw8A_Q

Fitting dry verge to a cottage of that age is kind of like fitting a body kit onto an E Type Jag.

I would strip the tiles off and source the problem properly. It's been fine for the last 500+ years so re-doing the compo/end of ridgeline/tile verge should see fit for another 50 odd years.

Thanks, guys. I'm learning a lot from this forum. Including the fact that dry plastic verge isn't an option really, not least because the tiles are not cut square (roof is not square, nor is any other bit of the cottage! - 400 years ago they didn't really bother much).

I'll get quotes for the hacking off of the cement etc, and repointing. Actually in Somerset!

Although the cottage is 400 years odd, it was very badly remodelled in the 1970s and the gable end is probably single skin breeze block.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
[email protected]

Bernard Delahunty of the NFRC, he is London and southern counties regional manager. Email him and he will give you a few names of NFRC approved roofers for the type of work that you want doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back