Extending out over gable end - looking for a good solution..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m looking for a good solution to extend my roof out over the gable end.

Although I’m not an experienced builder…. I’m building a small single storey villa in the south of France. Most of the roofs in the area stop flush with the gable end, meaning that when it rains the water runs or drips down the rendered wall and after a couple of years leaves dirty black streaks.

So I plan to extend the roof out 20cms over the gable end. The roof will be made up of trusses with the end truss screwed to the inside of the gable end. The walls are made of 20cm wide concrete blocks.

One idea I have is to build a wooden ladder 20cms wide and bolt this to the gable end using threaded bar through the ladder, through the block wall and through the truss on the inside.

Once finished the end of the roof will be boxed in with UPVC.

I’ve included a few pics to help illustrate.

Can anyone advise me if this would be a good solution or if there is a better way?

Any help / advice / ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave.

Sponsored Links
Bolting should be OK

Alternatively knock some brickwork out and put some timber noggins across to the truss

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back