Gable truss ladder for shed - couple of questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm part way through building a shed/summerhouse, 3.6 x 3.0m, gable across the long wall, 3x2 framework with 4x2 A frame trusses (with 3x2 bottom cord), 17.5' pitch. The framework is finished so I'm now moving onto the roof - weather permitting!!

I'd like to extend the front gable using 4x2 gable ladders.

Like this:

build-shed-part-9-building-installing-gable-ladders-rakes.1280x600.jpg

Could someone advise what the max advisable overhang should be? 400mm? The roof will be over boarded with 18mm ply, then most likely underlay & felt shingles.

Is there anything I should do to prevent sagging? Bolt rather than screw to gable truss? Any need for strapping across the top, or even gallow brackets?

Other question I have, the framework is unclad at the mo, but covered with breathable membrane. Should I clad the gable truss before fitting the gable ladders, or does it make no difference whether cladding is sandwiched or not?

I was planning on fitting the cladding after the gable ladders in case I want to remove it in the future without disturbing the roof (shrinkage/damage).

Any advice much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
A 4" x 2" will span aboot 1.8m according to span tables and you are allowed about 450mm - 600mm overhang, depending on how it is fixed/supported.

My guess is that you would be wise to fix a pair of stubby gallows mid-span to deal with the span and sag issues.

Hi Noseall, thanks for your advice.

I had looked at various methods of extending the gable, considered drop gable, but having seen other builds with 'flying' ladders, so to speak, I went with that method in mind & cracked on building the A frames.

I did wonder about gallows brackets, but hadn't considered span so was thinking of supporting the ends - your mid point suggestion makes sense!

The total rafter length is around 1970mm iirc, so span is around 1800, a touch longer I'd say without measuring.

I had planned to nog the gable to first truss at 16" centres, same as the ladders, thinking that that will also help support the cantilever.

If I went with gallows brackets midpoint, should I birdsmouth the rafters to suit, or place them under a noggin that is set plumb (so bearing face square to gallow bracket) rather than square to rafter?

As ever, pictures speak a thousand words, and this is the build as it stands...

2016-05-11_11-07-00 by Hallsy01, on Flickr

2016-05-11_11-06-09 by Hallsy01, on Flickr

Well, it's actually covered in membrane at the moment due to our typical British weather!!

400mm overhang should be OK for 4x2.

Screws will be OK to fix the ladder, just increase the frequency and number - 2 every 400mm should do it. I dont think that gallows brackets will be needed.

You can clad any time

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I suppose I could put the ladders up, and if they seem to sag, could add some brackets later.

I also wondered about passing some lengths of 4x2 or 3x2 under the ladder, gable truss & first truss, then attach to undersides. Not the prettiest, but would only be seen on inside of roof structure.

Noseall - you say you've changed your mind since seeing the photo.....is that good or bad? :eek:

Also been suggested I could use a 4x2 sub fascia to support the ends a little, I did consider that, but I've nogged along the ply join line, so if I have an extra 2 inches on end of rafter, I'll have to move the noggins to suit!! Not a big deal I know, but it's the principal :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back