Gable end straps in trussed rafter roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are buying a house and the surveyor recommends that we fit end straps at the gable ends of the trussed rafter roof. From searching online it looks like this is something surveyors often suggest, but it's not always necessary. However, in this case there are signs of some slight roof movement - the plaster is badly cracked between the walls and the ceiling on the top floor of the house, and externally it seems that gaps may have opened up between the roof and gable end parapet walls, allowing water to enter the wall cavity.

Is it possible to retro-fit end straps at gable ends? I understand these are usually hooked over the blocks and built into the gable wall when the house is built. It seems like it could be a difficult job to do this after the house has been built.

And would it be necessary to get building regs approval?

Grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Hi

The house was built in 2001.

I'm not sure how roof pitch is measured, but I've added a picture. The house we're buying is under the right-hand half of the roof shown.

Sponsored Links
You can buy some straps large straps and fit them yourself make sure to go across at least three trusses and fit noggins in between the trusses

Thanks very much Catlad.

Can the straps just be screwed into the breezeblock gable wall, or would I have to remove blocks, hook the straps over, and then cement the blocks back in place?

That would be ideal but if you have parapet walls then you might only be able to screw them to the wall, but on second thought you could cut a slot in the blockwork then twist the strap round and then fill the slot with cement afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back