Roof to blame for damp problem? Piccies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could anyone offer any advice on this for me please.

We are going to look at a house on Saturday which had been greatly reduced because of the damp problem. The agents suggest that it is possibly caused by bad render. But could it be shoddy roofing instead to blame?

It does seem that there is no overhang whatsoever on the gable ends of this property. Could that be the cause of the damp problem here? The tiles seem to be flush with the render. There are no fascias or verge tiles (sorry I'm a novice, is that the right terminology I'm looking for?). Does that mean that rain can penetrate?

I've attached pics to show this.

It would be good to go to the viewing armed with some questions to ask, so thank you for any advice you can give.

Sponsored Links
It is not essential to have a overhanging soffit detail but it is essential that the final course of full tiles does overhang into the centre of the gutter along with a correctly bonded eaves course underneath.

Are all the gutters running freely?

Just re-read the post, doh!

The verge overhang (gable end) should equate to aboot 50mm beyond the gable masonry or 'finishes' but can be less. Zero overhang can lead to dampness if the water is allowed to track down i.e. no kick on the mortared verge slates etc.
Bear in mind though that this would primarily cause problems in the loft space unless you have raked ceilings?

There are several different types of 'damp' and a trillion different causes, which is why a thorough survey can be good money well spent.

Looks like they have just painted the dash to me. Also, has the DPC been bridged at the front with the paving? Has the drive been overlayed and also bridged the DPC ? Place looks like it falling to bits, so would also advise a full survey.

Thanks for the responses. I don't know as yet if it even has a DPC. Just comping a heap of questions to take with me at the moment so we can get a better idea of what is causing the damp and therefore what it will cost to rectify.

Here's a pic of one of the damp wall inside. This on the ground floor. If the problem is the tiling would the problems reach so far down? Please excuse my naive questions!

It's a sandstone house sunder that sloppy looking render, so is it even possible for it to have a DPC? (wrong forum I know to ask that).

It really bugs me that it is the buyer who has to do the survey. One property could end up having multiple surveys done while it's for sale. They ain't cheap :mad:

Sponsored Links
The roof issue - if there is one - won't be affecting the downstairs room.....you'd see any water penetration from within the loft.
Slates set like that isn't the best, but so long as the edges are sealed and kept that way, all will be ok.
Do we know what the floor situation is yet?
John :)

The roof issue - if there is one - won't be affecting the downstairs room.....you'd see any water penetration from within the loft.
Slates set like that isn't the best, but so long as the edges are sealed and kept that way, all will be ok.
Do we know what the floor situation is yet?
John :)

Hi John, it's on my list of questions. Will find out on Saturday. Thank you for the advice on the roof.

That house has no redeeming features to me, so unless its going for a song I suggest you forget it

I'm not sure what information you think the agent will know, they've as much building knowledge as a Labrador. Take your camera and a good torch/inspection light for the roof (assuming the powers on) and have a ladder in the car or you may find you can't even get up there. A roof would have to be pretty bad for it to affect the ground floor but then the water's gotta go somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back