Education Level.

I have a degree, and so does my foreign born (and also now British) wife. We both voted remain.
Degrees in Geography and Business.
Missed out on the good jobs and high salaries though. Not sure where I went wrong there.
But enjoy learning about DIY - I wouldn't be here if I had a well paid job!

Sponsored Links
Ahh. for me diy is about mastering essential life skills. It’s a cave man thing nothing about money. Makes no sense financially for me to do any of it.

regarding missing out. You’d be amazed how many seriously wealthy (self made) people aren’t well educated. It’s about how they are wired I think

The remain leaning newspapers wanted make a link that leavers are low educated, xenophobic morons on benefits.

I'm quite sure that if you took a decently sized random sample of people living in a country, where: cost of living, wealth, education, country of origin, age etc etc varied vastly, you could argue that it told you than northerners were thick and poor and southerners were rich and smart. Of course the smart person compares them against their peers. Unfortunately since nobody put their qualifications, income and age on the voting form, all the stats compared the demographic of areas voting leave vs the demographic of areas voting remain. The media agenda wanted to use this to imply that leavers were thick and remainers smart.

You cannot reliably conclude this.

I suspect you can count the number leave voting EU Law professionals living in London on one hand, just as you could the number of out of work cabbage pickers in Lincolnshire who'd vote remain.

Based on this poll we have 3 degree educated leavers and 1 degree educated remainer - pretty conclusive that leave voters are smarter than remain - Not

I am not getting into the argumemt of who is cleverer on here by stating education levels, or even ages.

It is far simpler to work out.

How many well educated, on here or elsewhere, have ever given real examples of the advantages of brexit. The most we ever get (from a very honest DP) is that they don't care if we suffer or not, they just want out.

You, and a couple of others tell us you are well educated, so, down to you. The advantages of brexit please?

Ahh. for me diy is about mastering essential life skills. It’s a cave man thing nothing about money.

You know, I am starting to like it too. I was never any good at DIY due to a lack of confidence and education, but a 1930s house and no money meant i had to quickly learn!
I want to do more, the biggest thing holding me back is the confidence to start a job that might get a bit tricky to complete.
I fancy plumbing too. A doctor friend (who started out as a roofer, and is also a Remain voter) does his own plumbing, says it's all pretty easy really, just make sure nothing leaks! Only water pipes though, obviously not gas or boilers etc.

Sponsored Links
Ive posted why i voted leave.

I started the same way. 1930s house and no idea why a switch had 2 red cables.

You can't beat a 1930s house! Solid walls, simple structure, suspended floors - all makes DIY easier, I think!

No one knows.

They just want to be independent in a global world.

And, of course, as Frankie Boyle said - "They want to 'control' immigration from Eastern Europe because they don't like Pakistanis".

So strip it down to the core point. How well informed were people when they made the decision. Lets assume the distribution of knowledge about the EU was equally spread amongst both camps.

So the vast majority had no idea what it meant being part of the EU. So a common sense approach would be, if I do not have enough information to make a decision its prudent to hold back from making a decision. There was no existential threat. So those who voted to leave and did not have much knowledge were lacking common sense and prudence.

So strip it down to the core point. How well informed were people when they made the decision. Lets assume the distribution of knowledge about the EU was equally spread amongst both camps.

So the vast majority had no idea what it meant being part of the EU. So a common sense approach would be, if I do not have enough information to make a decision its prudent to hold back from making a decision. There was no existential threat. So those who voted to leave and did not have much knowledge were lacking common sense and prudence.

The thing is, the reverse could also be said.. and don't forget there has been years of negativity towards the EU running up to the election.. "Bureaucrats in Brussels wasting our hard earned taxes etc". EU laws stopping us deporting Captain Hook/terrorists etc..

Take your point the other way around.. Let say you joined my club and every year I sent you a membership fee, you don't really know why you are a member, are you gonna keep paying? You might, but it doesn't make much sense being a member of a club that you don't know provides any benefits.

Approach it from another angle, in business - the disrupters always win and the status quo withers and dies. Amazon, Apple, Netflix, IBM, Nokia, HP, Blockbuster. Some feel the EU is an outdated, expensive club that is inward looking and focused on protecting the status quo, while those outside are the disrupters.

Or even simpler - More of the same vs something else.

Referendums are not the best way to set out a strategy.

You can't beat a 1930s house! Solid walls, simple structure, suspended floors - all makes DIY easier, I think!
I take it you haven't had the anthrax infected plaster off to look at the quality of your walls? They don't make them the way they used to - thank god. Mine is mid 20s. It has ample foundations that go as deep as 12-18" in places, U-values that make a beach hut look well insulated, No DPM, howling gales blowing under your floorboards in winter.

something else.

"My wife decided she didn't like our house and wants it renovated. She's decided to rip out the wiring and plumbing, strip the plaster off the walls and take out the old windows. The old kitchen is coming out, and the tiles off the roof. She's arranged contractors to do all that work, starting in March. She's had this plan for over two years.

When I ask her what sort of rewiring, plumbing, replastering, new kitchen and new roof she wants, she looks at me blankly, and says someone else can deal with that. She hasn't even been looking at kitchen catalogues. She seems to be hoping that in March we'll be living in a hulk, and only after that will somebody (seemingly not her) decide how to rebuild. She doesn't have a budget and she doesn't know where the money's coming from. If I suggest anything she says she doesn't like it. If anyone tells her that living in a house with no roof is no fun, she accuses them of scaremongering.

She keeps saying there are plenty of builders in the world and it will be easy to make our house better than it was before. But she won't say how.

Is she mad?"

madness is contracting to tear down the old house, with an express limitation that she cannot even start to design the new one until the old one has been demolished. But that's article 50 for you.

After two years of talking to herself about it, I've discovered she can't decide whether or not to have a shared drive with our neighbours. They say if nothing's agreed they won't allow access to the builders and it won't be shared. She knew that had to be done and soon it will be too late to decide, the neighbours say they'll build their own wall across it.

This isn't even an external constraint like not being able to sign a builders contract. She simply refuses every option.

You ask "Do you want a shared drive?" No
Do you want an individual drive? No
Do you want no drive at all? No
Do you want the neighbours to decide? No.

Sponsored Links
Back