efficiency of vented as opposed to closed system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me the difference in efficiency between a closed system and vented, ours is vented at the moment and I'm considering whether it's worth altering it to sealed system (expansion vessel, prv and filling loop with guage)

Sponsored Links
Simply sealing the system will not change the efficiency of it.

If you have a configuration problem causing air to build up in system or some other issue then sealing may help it work better, but sealing it wont alter gas consumption or heating output.

ok thanks, I prefer a sealed system but if there's no difference to the efficiency then I'll leave it as it is

Sponsored Links
The energy efficiency training, which all engineers were supposed to go on about six years, ago taught us that an open vented system is about 2-3 % LESS efficient as a result of heat loss from the header tank and its pipework. This figure comes from the EST.

The cost of converting may be difficult to recover in a reasonable time period.

But sealed systems should in theory require less maintenance.

Furthermore, in the event of a leak, the water loss is restricted to little more than the active volume of the expansion vessel. In contrast a leak from an OV system will be fed by the float valve and can lose hundreds of litres which can cause considerable damage if not quickly discovered.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back