Efficient Heating Setup (temporary solution)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Ideal Mexico floor standing boiler running CH. The CH system consists of a single pipe system with one loop upstairs and one down. The downstairs loop is below floor level and powers floor level radiators.

For various reasons I've removed the downstairs loop while I install some new radiators and think about a new system.

In the process of draining, flushing and refilling the upstairs loops I've fully opened radiator valves (both ends). I've also left the pump set as before (setting 2 of 3) even though it has half the CH pipe network now (4 radiators).

This situation will probably remain for the rest of the winter, so what should I do to get the most out of the CH? Balance the radiator valves? Reduce pump setting to 1?

Sponsored Links
Doesn't matter much - try pump on 1. If it's ok, fine!

make sure you install normal system when you renew the pipes, not a one-pipe setup like you have now

"old Ideal Mexico floor standing boiler" and "efficient" dont really go together!

Tony

Sponsored Links
"old Ideal Mexico floor standing boiler" and "efficient" dont really go together!
After seeing my gas bill that is exactly the reason I've started pulling my CH system apart!

Have to see if I have enough water flow, gas pressure and pennies to replace it with a Vaillant 937 or 837 next year. :)

Any normal domestic gas meter should supply either of those boilers in 99.9% of homes.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back