Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
fURqGK

gqoZAe

kmr4Ae
kmr4Ae
esDUbK

Hi all I have just bought my first house and the wooden ceiling panels and skirting boards are painted with low sheen egg shell white Dulux paint. Am I okay to just paint another coat over the top or do I need to do any specific prep work? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Consider using a shellac based product such as Zinsser BIN to cover the knots first.

Are you sure that they were painted with the water based eggshell rather than the oil based eggshell?

Neither version needs an undercoat but you will need to clean and lightly sand the surfaces first to provide a key.

Sponsored Links
Go and buy some Dulux Trade instead of that consumer grade one... it will cover better and so either result in less coats or a better finish.

Ideally you would lightly sand the surfaces to ensure they new paint sticks well. I appreciate thats a PITA for a ceiling... maybe a good sugarsoaping would be enough....

And what oops said about covering the knots....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back