Electolux fridge freezer not low enough temp.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This has been happening for about a year after we had a very bad winter last year. Our kitchen has no radiator and the ambient temp went very low. The fridge freezer (13 years old) started to hang around 5-15 oC in the freezer. I put it down to it being excessively cold but even now, as it isn't as cold it isn't freezing enough with some food at the bottom going a bit mushy. We are due to have a rad put in the kitchen anytime but it's hard to tell if the appliance has run it's course or it's the temp of the room.

Having said all that, the room has always been unheated and we never had problems like this in the past. Also, people keep freezers in cold unheated outbuildings. One theory is that the very cold winter did some permanent damage.

If this sounds like good old age, can anyone recommend a good replacement that is A rated, frost free and possibly fast freeze for around £200-380 ? I have so far found this but there is anything better I would appreciate advice.

http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/product/FFFL2000P-Hotpoint-Future-Fridge-Freezer-White-23838.aspx

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would try it in the heated room first but as you say it may well off run its course if that doesent help . I see you've eyed up a hotpoint so given that you will be asking me the same question within 3 years .

3 years ! I give it less than a year. Go for a Bosch it's far better.

Bosch ? We have a Bosh tumble drier which stops turning from time to time. Not that good.

What's wrong with Hotpoint ?

Sponsored Links
Dont you mean what's right with hotpoint. !!

It would be helpful to have suggestions as to what to buy instead of how bad one make is ;) On the other hand, the customer reviews for the Hotpoint model are excellent on the website.

Probably the temperature in the room so the new one will do the same!
I would buy an Electrolux, Zaunnusi, Tricity, AEG, which ever was cheapest as main parts are all the same and as good as it gets these days!
You will NEVER buy anything as good as you have got!
Hotpoint, don't you mean Indesit in disguise?

Colin

Funny enough it has started working properly again. It seems to fluctuate up and down but so does the temp in the kitchen. For the life of me I have tried to get plumbers to come and put a rad in but we are on our second who has let us down. They have so much work on they just don't bother coming back when they say they do.

Be VERY careful with the food, it tends to start to defrost overnight and refreeze in the day so not too good.

There have been modifications where you put an external thermostat, in a box, set at approx 8c and wire it to the bulb in the fridge, when the ambient temp. drops the light came on.
You may be able to get a self adhesive heater to stick on the evaporator and wire across the thermostat. Can you see your evaporator in the back of the fridge?

As regards to freezers in the cold, the stat runs at appr.. -18c your fridge at +4c so unless the garage gets to below -18c it will be ok.

Colin

In the worst cold it's around 8-10 oC. It's a shame as it's been such a good fridge freezer. I would be reluctant to let it go if the current ones are no good anymore.

Re-reading your op, it does work ok in the summer?

I don't think there is much decent stuff out there, but you get what you pay for, they are all "relitively" (to what they were) cheap and so not made to last.

Try and find a decent refrigeration engineer in your area, talk to them about the problem and see if they know what they are talking about before booking a call.

Colin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back