Electra AWN 100A eco Advise on changing bearings plz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, I have had this machine for 10 years and had no problems, recently however , it is very noisy when spinning, grinding metal type noise, from browsing these forums I presume this is the bearings going.
It still spins, no burning or banging.
Could anyone give me a guide on changing the bearings on this machine? and can you still get new ones!
many thanks
:)

edited to add, it is making a similar noise if you push the drum round empty, how do you know if it is brushes or bearings??!!

Sponsored Links
spin it by hand, if its noisey bearings have gone.

assuming it is bearings, it is probably cheaper / better to get new m/c

i shall explain.

you need correct bearing puller tools and insetion tools to get bearing out
you need the know how of how to do it.

bearings themselves are usually v cheap, BUT hassle of pulling bearings, knowing what to do and finding other things wrong = not worth it on 10yr m/c

this is just my opinion, you may have a bearing puller, and may be "up for the job" i dont know

Are you sure that model number is correct as I can't find anything listed on Google etc for this? To check if the noise is from the drum or the motor you can take the belt off, turn the drum by hand to hear that and run it on spin to hear just the motor. You can get a metal grating sound if there is a bra wire or similar caught between the inner and outer drums.

fido said:
You can get a metal grating sound if there is a bra wire or similar caught between the inner and outer drums.

a coin / washer is noisey too

Sponsored Links
Hi
the model number is 1000A sorry missed a zero, it was seeboards own range years ago.
It doesn't sound like anything is caught in it, we have had the bra problem before!

It makes the same noise if you spin it by hand, a constant noise throughout the movement, not just at a certain point of the revolution.

There is a model AWM1000A which was made by Servis. This had an enamel steel outer drum with detachable backplate, held on with a clamp band. To change the bearings you remove the drum pulley, remove the backplate with inner drum, knock though the drum spindle to remove the inner drum then drift out the bearings. When refitting the backplate it is best to have the machine resting on it's front on a cushion or some such. you can either renew the rubber seal round the plate or run a bead of silicone sealer round it to ensure it is watertight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back