Hotpoint WT540P Washing machine - "Clunking"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just in time for Christmas, the mother-in-law's Hotpoint WT540P washing machine has started to make a "clunking" noise.

The washing machine is less than three years old and is used no more than 2-3 times a week.

I've only had chance to have a very quick look at/listen to it, so far and this is probably the best way that I can describe it ......

I put the empty machine on to 'slow spin' and as the drum began to turn there was a noise that sounded as though something heavy & metallic (like a bolt?) was being lifted between the inner and outer drums and then dropped to the bottom; the drum then span quietly at slow speed. This happened again when the drum had stopped spinning and then restarted.

As the drum built up speed, the noise level greatly increased and sounded similar to the noise you would expect if there was a pair of shoes banging about inside the drum.

There is no 'grating' noise, just 'clunking' and the machine does not appear to be vibrating excessively.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

Sponsored Links
drum surport broke off .new drum needed .call hotpoint all in charge 100.00 inc parts or scrap it .

Many thanks for your reply rocks1.

At that price for a repair, I fear it may be time for a new machine. Not good after less than 3 years use.

I haven't had chance to take a proper look yet. Is there any chance it could be that the upper weight has worked loose?

Sponsored Links
poss you never know ,no harm in taking lid off .is there play on the inner drum when you turn it by hand and can you lift inner drum up if yes the drum has deffo gone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back