Electric awning switch replacement problem (now fixed with the help here)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

I have a electric awning driven by a Somfy Apollo SLT motor, it has been acting up and now has stopped. Two years ago I had a total rewire of the house with the exception of the switch for the awning which was recycled. It appears the switch was damaged during this process, so I have searched for a new one. The switch is a dual sprung rocker switch (you have to keep it pressed to keep it working) I have brought one that was listed as a Blinds switch it is rated the same 230/240v 10amp.
My problem is I do not understand the wiring diagram when compared to the original, I am hoping someone can look at the photos and explain how to wire in the new switch a sketch would really help.
I have a album of photos 3 of the old switch with wires in and the diagram on the back and 1 pic of the diagram on the new switch.
Any informed help would be really great.

Sponsored Links
I suspect that the correspondence between the old and new terminal names is

P -> L
1 -> A1
2 -> B1

Or the latter two could be swapped, it depends which way up you fix it.

Your old switch has an N terminal. You will need to join those two blue wires together with a terminal block - unless those two terminals at the bottom left of the new switch are actually joined together.

I suspect that the correspondence between the old and new terminal names is

P -> L
1 -> A1
2 -> B1

Or the latter two could be swapped, it depends which way up you fix it.

Your old switch has an N terminal. You will need to join those two blue wires together with a terminal block - unless those two terminals at the bottom left of the new switch are actually joined together.

Hi thank you for taking the time to answer my question it is appreciated.
Since posting it I have found a Somfy switch which looks exactly like my original it is from the Frence site as the UK one is next to useless as they just want to sell full new installs and have nothing about parts etc. The switch make 4 different connections which I don't think the one I have does, I am thinking I will have to spend a bit more and get the Somfy one. The old switch is really knackered parts have disintegrated (seatings for the rockers) darn plastic nonsense. I am posting a image from the Somfy site it is in french but I translated some of the cable descriptions. Thanks again to all for your input appreciated :)

Ah I have just clocked what you mean about joining the neutrals outside the switch, I may give that a go, the circuit is isolated and we have double RCA main board so the worse that might happen would be the circuit will shut off.
SomfySwitchGOODTranslatedByMe.jpg

Sponsored Links
The switch make 4 different connections
No it doesn't - three.

It connects P to 1 or 2 depending on which you press and doesn't allow both at the same time.
Does this one have two separate switches as opposed to a rocker which can't connect both at the same time?

full

The new one is virtually the same L to A1 or B1
full

The switch make 4 different connections
No it doesn't - three.

It connects P to 1 or 2 depending on which you press and doesn't allow both at the same time.
Does this one have two separate switches as opposed to a rocker which can't connect both at the same time?

Hi tank you for you answer and question. Both have two rockers and I believe it is mechanical blocked from making contacts on both at the same time, the new one said something to that effect on the sales page ( it was translated from German so the wording was odd)

I think i got my head around the Neutral outside the switch now as it can't be doing anything in the switch as they are nested together to start with.

full

The new one is virtually the same L to A1 or B1
full

I think i got my head around the Neutral outside the switch now as it can't be doing anything in the switch as they are nested together to start with.
No, it definitely doesn't do anything.
Its position on the diagram is a bit confusing but the 'switch arm' does not go up and contact it.

No, it definitely doesn't do anything.
Its position on the diagram is a bit confusing but the 'switch arm' does not go up and contact it.

Cheers mate, again much appreciated.

Hi everyone The new switch is in and it works, well the motor twitches so it is the problem but the switch is doing it's part. So thank you all much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back