electric blanket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just been given an electric blanket. When is plugged in and I am lying on it, if I touch the wall behind me I can feel a tingling, as if a low electric current is passing through. It goes when the blanket is switched on. Does it mean the blanket is unsafe and I should ditch it?

Cristina

Sponsored Links
More than likely it is totally unsafe. Definately faulty. Ditch it quickly.

What is the wall made of ?

Lying on a well insulated live wire will capacitively couple you to 230 volts but with the extremely high impedance of the insulation the current will be extremely low so quite safe. If you then touch something that is earthed you may feel a very slight tingle. But a wall is not normally conductive to any earth such as the back box of a socket unless the wall is quite damp.

It goes when the blanket is switched on.

That is cause for concern if "switched on" is not a typing error for "switched off".

Either the switch is in the neutral side and the blanket is still live when the switch is OFF hence the tingle.

Or the wall is live and the tingle is due to capacitive coupling of your body to neutral while the blanket is OFF but still connected to neutral.

I have never liked electric blankets. The idea of sleeping on or under a live wire does not appeal to me. And they make the bed uncomfortably hot. They need to be checked every year at least if you must use one. And never accept a second hand one unless you can have it tested before you use it.

Sponsored Links
I'm prepared to come and keep you warm if you are chilly.
My rates are very reasonable.
You'll probably still get some tingling, from time to time, though ;)

Same here, the idea really scares me. I've found a couple of thick duvets really does the job, with a low wattage oil heater close to it to warm up the area next to my bed before I get in.

I've also never liked the idea of electric showers.

Same here, the idea really scares me. I've found a couple of thick duvets really does the job, with a low wattage oil heater close to it to warm up the area next to my bed before I get in.

Surprised you have a computer :mrgreen:

It's just static you headers. lifes full of electric with out the supply.

Surprised you have a computer :mrgreen:

I have six of them in the workshop right now :) I am an IT technician :D.

I am rather old fashioned though.

"Chucks" JoyD a Werthers toffee, slippers and a hot water bottle.......... :p

or it could also be the following- either your earth is bad somewhere in the return circuit (plug, socket ect.) or you have serious condensation problems which means you are connecting to a seperate system of ground/ body of earth like init. which aint dangerous but should be avoided if possible to be honest just in case of lightening or earth fault in supply as said above.

That is a totally irresponsible reply which could kill the op. if they took any notice. Static does not give a tingling sensation

Well said. The original poster needs to get get rid of the blanket and have the wall checked.

I think TTC needs a cold one.

Cristina - are you sure it's the type of blanket you are supposed to lie on, or if you are that you're supposed to lie on when it's switched on? AFAIK these are usually designed to warm the bed before you get in, and must be turned off.

That is a totally irresponsible reply which could kill the op. if they took any notice.
Look at his posts - the spelling, the punctuation, the grammar.

He's clearly not the sharpest knife in the box, is he.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back