Electric boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody carry out a straight swap of an electric system boiler? Or is a 'P' required?

Sponsored Links
If your swapping like for like in KW loading then I see no reason why not.
Anyway who'd know ;)

Think I may mean Amps, not doing a lot of thinking just scoffing between jobs :LOL:

Are you replacing a faulty appliance with something of the same, or lesser, power rating?

Will you be altering the fixed wiring or any circuit protective measures or devices?

Is the earthing requirement the same for the new appliance?

Are you insured when carrying out electrical work?

Sponsored Links
Are you replacing a faulty appliance with something of the same, or lesser, power rating?

Most likely yes

Will you be altering the fixed wiring or any circuit protective measures or devices?

Not sure yet.

Not sure yet.

Are you insured when carrying out electrical work?

The householder intends to do the electric side but has asked me to do the pipework.

Assuming your points above are taken into account and attended to could a DIYer do such a swap?

Breesey said:
Assuming your points above are taken into account and attended to...
There is no valid assumption in this context. Either the work is done safely AND legally, or it isn't.

...could a DIYer do such a swap?
You seem not to understand what Part P notification is all about.

Anyone can do anything with domestic electrics, as long as it done safely. Certain work is notifiable, regardless of who does it. If the person carrying out notifiable work is not registered as someone who can self-certify that work (for example a houseowner), then notice must be given before work starts.

So, your question can't be answered without knowing how competent your DIYer is.

Breesey said:
Assuming your points above are taken into account and attended to...
There is no valid assumption in this context. Either the work is done safely AND legally, or it isn't.

...could a DIYer do such a swap?
You seem not to understand what Part P notification is all about.

Anyone can do anything with domestic electrics, as long as it done safely. Certain work is notifiable, regardless of who does it. If the person carrying out notifiable work is not registered as someone who can self-certify that work (for example a houseowner), then notice must be given before work starts.

So, your question can't be answered without knowing how competent your DIYer is.

I do realise, and understand that some work is and some work is not notifiable, hence my question. So is this notifiable or not?
Simple question, assume that the DIYer is competant.

Breesey said:
I do realise, and understand that some work is and some work is not notifiable, hence my question.
So is this notifiable or not?
If you understand the requirements for a building notice, I don't understand why you aren't looking up the answer.

Simple question, assume that the DIYer is competant.
OK, so he's competent. However...

Most likely yes

Not sure yet.

Not sure yet.
So, the answer to your question (Is it notifiable?) is:

Not sure yet.

Yep fair enough Softus ;) . I was asking like everyone asks on here rather than goes and looks it up!! :LOL:
I thought someone might know here, funnily enough.

Cheers anyway, I will now go and find out!! :p

Breesey said:
I thought someone might know here, funnily enough.
Someone would know, if you provided the information about what work is being done, but you can't (or won't).

At the moment I don't know what exactly is required, other than that a new eletric boiler is required in place of an old. I thought there might have been a generic answer as far as 'replacing an electric boiler' went.

I had never given electric boilers any thought until the other day.

I will get more details and, if necassary, get back to you. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back