Electric charge in bathroom tap water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
The water in the bathroom washbasin in my daughter's house has an electric charge in it so when you run the water and hold your hand in the water, you can feel sharp stabbing feeling in the fingers.

The weird thing is I have checked all the pipe work underneath the basin and the majority is plastic piping connecting from approx 6 inches of copper pipe from the taps down to the rest of the pipe work under the floor. None of the pipe work is cross bonded but the feeling is not felt when I run the water in the bath or the shower which is approx 3 ft away from the basin. All the pipe work in the airing cup board is ok. Anyone have any ideas what it might be? Could a fault in the element in the immersion heater charge the water? - it is the nearest tap to the immersion.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Waste pipe is normal plastic ubend going out through the wall as far as I can see.

For a significant ( ie painful ) shock there has to be two points of contact with items at different potentials. In your daughter's case one point is the water, what is the other one ?

It could be a damp floor around the basin with a floor board nail through a cable making that area of the floor live.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back