ELECTRIC - COMBI BOILER....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 20yr old Ravenheat gas boiler is coming to the end of the road.....I'm seriously considering replacing it with a Electric Combi-Boiler.....would appreciate any feedback re supplier, preferably British manufacture if possible?

Property is two bed terraced cottage - total six rads.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I believe that Trianco make an electric combi boiler, however I cannot for the life of me understand why you would want one when you have gas.

No comment on the boiler, but typically 1 Kwh of electricity costs four times that of mains gas! That is why electric boilers for domestic heating are as rare as hens teeth. For properties off the mains, oil and stored gas fired boilers still cost less to run than electricity.

If you want to go down the electric route, storage heaters that take advantage of 'off peak rates' are the most cost effective. But they are still not as cheap to run as mains gas and have disadvantages.

Had enough of incompetent gas engineers over the years.....As for availability they're certainly not as rare as hens teeth....No problem with the cost of electricity.....I live alone, heating on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening, so a light user of gas or electric.....

Sponsored Links
No problem with the cost of electricity.....I live alone, heating on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening

The number of hours is irrelevant. If you know what your gas usage costs, and don't mind paying about four times as much for the same amount of energy from electricity, that's your choice.

I did state combo boiler(direct replacement) - CH and DHW.....I wouldn't entertain storage heaters in any shape or form....as I have already stated.....I have no problem with the cost of electric....heating on for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening....shower or bath once a week.....NOT a heavy user of gas or electric....single person occupancy.....

surely it would be better to find a decent gas engineer and start a decent relationship with him or her, I have lots of customers who have become friends and I look forward to working for them , not everyone is there to rip you off, a decent price for a decent service is most peoples view , sadly there are those that provide a poor servive but that is in every industry, if you go Electric you are narrowing your choice of companies that will service and repair your boiler as lots wont touch them

Get a gas boiler! Electric boilers are more trouble than they are worth, don't forget the cost of upgrading the electric supply to your house, the last one we fitted had to have the supply cable to the property replaced with a larger one. Electric boilers should only really be considered a last resort when an oil or gas supply is impractical or impossible. The cost to run them is tremendous.

You can't help some people can you, They come on here asking for advice but don't like the answer they get. Oh well, perhaps he's right and all of the rest of us are wrong ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back