Electric cooker tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fan oven in the cooker tripped the RCD yesterday but the grill and hob were still okay to use so I thought it might be needing a new element for fan oven and had ordered a multi-meter to test.

Went to use the top oven today which as far as I know uses the grill element and it also tripped the RCD......

Any ideas/help greatly appreciated.

Edit - Grill now tripping as well but hob still working okay.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Has anyone been washing the hob down or have you had a pan boil over? Water getting under the control panel might be the cause. You need to start testing for a short circuit with your multi meter when it arrives. Unless someone has had the exact same fault then pinpointing it to a particular cause on line is not going to be easy.

Sponsored Links
Don't think there has been any incidents of water boiling over to the extent it should have cause an issue but thanks for sharing your thoughts and will do some testing when the meter arrives.

You may find (as i did) problems with the thermal insulation that the oven and grill are wrapped in.
If you peel some of that off there are usually bare spade connectors revealed, if the insulation has become slightly conductive due to buildup of dust or grease or moisture that can be enough.
Trouble is your multimeter is unlikely to reveal the problem- mine showed up using a PAT machine.

Don't think there has been any incidents of water boiling over to the extent it should have cause an issue but thanks for sharing your thoughts and will do some testing when the meter arrives.
A further thought would be that with switching on the various components causing trips, then a short between neutral & earth somewhere would be the place to start. In my experience burnt out neutral connections/ terminals are most common.

Tester finally arrived and the fan oven element had gone so I ordered a new element and replaced it, not really expecting it to resolve the issue as the grill and top even were also tripping but amazingly it seems to have.

Thanks for everyones help, appreciated.

Once it is triping the RCD a clamp on multi meter is unlikely to help as it will trip before you can read the imbalance. You will need an insulation tester, which uses 500 volt, I got one for £35.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back