Electric Fire Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to move into a house that is 2 years old. There is one of these contemporary feature fires (electric) mounted on the wall and it is directly wired to a box behind the fire which then goes to a fused switch further along the living room wall

We want to remove the fire as this will be an ideal place for the TV. What I want to do is turn that socket into a normal mains input for the TV, blue-ray player and sky box etc

I will get an electrician out to do it but just wanted to know if this is a simple job seeing as there is a switch with a fuse further along the wall

Thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
It's highly likely taking in to consideration the power supply was for an electric fire that the fused connection is from the ring final socket circuit.
This will be a 13A spur from the the ring final circuit and it will be fine to use the connection behind the fire as a socket outlet or multiple socket outlets, but you will be restricted to a maximum demand of 13Amps though on this spur.

Sponsored Links
A 5A or 3A fuse cartridge will pop into the FCU in less than a minute

Thanks for your replies, I think it makes sense

Is it likely that any electrician would leave the FCU in place with a 13A fuse but then put me a double socket in without further work?

You are correct, the things I will be plugging into this area are the TV, XBOX 360, sky HD box an my blu-ray 5.1 system

Thanks all!

beyond the FCU, you are allowed a hundred double sockets if you want, it's a fused spur. However the total load will not exceed 13A

It would be very much simpler to have a single socket though, with a multi-way extension on it. They are very convenient for Audiovisual nests.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back