extending socket loop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have added an additional switched socket next to my TV to power a wall mounted TV from the room socket below. (so leads are not visable)
Question is can i now take a loop from this new socket to another socket to power my 2kw electric fire as well as power SKY and a DVD player. I intend to run the cable again behind a outside wall stud.

Ant.

Sponsored Links
Is it a single or double socket ? It is wired in 2.5mm twin and earth ?

Lxboy

Hi

I have added an additional switched socket next to my TV to power a wall mounted TV from the room socket below. (so leads are not visable)
Question is can i now take a loop from this new socket to another socket to power my 2kw electric fire as well as power SKY and a DVD player. I intend to run the cable again behind a outside wall stud.

Ant.

Is the circuit you have supplied the new socket from a ring or a radial circuit?

If it is a ring, which is the standard socket arrangement, then you can not supply an additional socket from your new addition.

Hi

Is the circuit a ring final circuit or a radial circuit?

If you circuit is a ring final circuit you are limited to one additional single or double socket spur. So you cannot add a spur to a spur.
Your other option is to introduce a 13A fused connection unit as your initial spur after which you can run as many sockets as you wish up to the 13A limit.

Sponsored Links
I believe the spur i have taken is from a ring circuit.
Well as I and others have said you cannot run more than one spur from a socket on the ring final circuit.
Your options are to find another un spurred socket on the rfc or introduce a 13 Amp fused connection unit either before the existing spur or instead of the existing spur - then run you additional sockets from there.

I wouldn't be too keen on the FCU option in this case as the OP has stated it's to run a 2kw fire, thats 9/13a taken already, then depending on what he uses the other outlets for - it may be TV, Sky and DVD player now but this may well change in the future.

I'd be looking for somewhere else to spur from

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back