outdoor circuit extending from indoor circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've searched this forum and can't find the same query.
I would like to install a light and socket in my shed and low voltage LED lights in the garden. Before I laid my patio, I laid in 50m of 4mm 3 core SWA in a loop round the garden for any future projects like this!
At present I have the downstairs ring circuit containing 10 double sockets utilising the TV, stereo, lights and DVD, total Power 1.2KW. This ring has a 32A MCB and is RCD 30mA protected. One of these double sockets in the circuit is fixed on the outside wall. Is it possible to extend this circuit to my outside SWA loop. If possible do I need to install a further outside weather proof 30mA RCD.

Hope all this makes sense!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
the way forward here is to run a supply from the ccu to an ip55 adaptable box and joint in there ensuring circuit is protected via a 30mA rcd and correct protective device for your type of board and cable. you will also have to fuse down in the shed for your light using a fcu incorporating a 3A fuse.

this work needs to be carried out via a competent electrician as it would require an installation certificate upon completion.

Sponsored Links
RMS's suggestion will require a minor works certificate and will also have to be completed by a competent electrician.

sorry RMS i meant customers consumer unit, sorry for the mix up.

lol i was just thinking that regarding ccu!!
I would certainly just tap it off the circuit as rms says.
Running a new supply as elrobbo says just isnt feasible (time consuming,awkward possibly,more costly) unless of course you have a lot of high loading appliances in your shed but from what you said i doubt it.

the way forward here is to run a supply from the ccu to an ip55 adaptable box and joint

elrobbo, I'm struggling to understand your logic in this joint. If I was to use your method I would run the cabling to a new distribution board in the shed comprising of a circuit for the socket(s) and a circuit for lighting.

The use of an appropriate IP rated joint box may be required for the outdoor LED lights. Obviously this would be avoided if possible as any joints would be better within the shed.

starspark is this work notifiable due to running cable outside?

would the electrician on site be better to inform on possible cable routes and installation method?

thanks

Well of course but if thats the case why did any of us comment??
As your over engineered method is also notifiable

RMS,
If you were to use his method then it sounds like it would be coming off next doors cu or whoever the customer is he was talking about! :LOL:

my method meant running a supply to one end of the SWA not to the shed and thus making a radial terminating into the shed.

as i said this work would be better interpreted by the on site electrician with regards to the demand this would place on the existing ring and what loads would be connected to the circuit.

again onsite spark would be better to make this call!!!

my method meant running a supply to one end of the SWA not to the shed and thus making a radial terminating into the shed.

as i said this work would be better interpreted by the on site electrician with regards to the demand this would place on the existing ring and what loads would be connected to the circuit.

But he said he has only got 1.2kw on his rfc roughly 5 ampsish leaving 20 plus amps spare which i suspect is more than adequate for his needs therefore avoiding as said costly, unnecessary and possibly very awkward new circuit being installed.

Can tell you would be a costly tradesmen!! :LOL:

depends on the loads that are to be connected. yes around 20A at the moment but what if he/she wanted a 3KW heater in the shed for the winter leaving 7A. as i said you can not design a circuit not knowing the loads and the usage.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back