radial circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Gents

I have a radial circuit with a 20 amp MCB, currently it runs just an American style fridge freezer in a utility room, we have extended the utility room to incorporate a boys game room, I want to extend the circuit to incorporate 3 further double sockets, 1 which would be for an entertainment centre, TV DVD stereo etc the others would just be for wall sockets i.e. floor lighting. I’m a bit unfamiliar with radial circuit limitations as all other circuits are on ring mains. (house was completely rewired about 3 years ago)

Thanks for any advise

Sponsored Links
Providing you extend the circuit with the same CSA size cable as the existing circuit, should be straight forward.
A 20A radial socket will be okay supplying the load requirements you have explained.
Does the circuit have RCD protection or is the cable being used for the sock-outlet have mechaniccal protection like earthsheild!

All circuits are RCD protected, I thought it would be ok but thought it was best to check thank for the advise

Sponsored Links
Hi Gents

I have a radial circuit with a 20 amp MCB, currently it runs just an American style fridge freezer in a utility room

Do check the main board, frequently single circuits for fridges / freezers are NOT on an RCD- this prevents the circuit tripping due to a fault on another circuit tripping the rcd. It prevents your contents from turning to mould in such situations.

The reason I raise this is that you have indicated the circuit is dedicated for the fridge alone ! Ask yourself why :D

Do check the main board, frequently single circuits for fridges / freezers are NOT on an RCD- this prevents the circuit tripping due to a fault on another circuit tripping the rcd. It prevents your contents from turning to mould in such situations.
That's why I asked if circuit was RCD or mechanically protected

When does a 'utility room' become a 'kitchen' under Part P?

For instance, does it have a sink?

I ask because I think kitchen wiring is notifiable to the local BC and also because, if it's not protected by an RCD, it could need an RCBO.

Somewhere that food is prepared and cooked is classed as a kitchen. a bedroom can have a vanity sink so a sink is not the whole requirement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back