circuit load

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

could you please provide me with some advise, In my house i have a small utility area, at present there is a 2.5 mm radial circuit that supplies 3 double plug socket,

connected to these sockets at present
is an outside pir spot lamp,
a fish pond pump and filter
An american style fridge freeze
And the Dish washer (wire is run through the wall from the kitchen)

what i want to do is remove the washer dryer from the kitchen and put a seperate washing machine and tumble drier in the utility room area.

would this be to much load for this circuit?

To turn the radial circuit into a ring main would be hard to do the only way to get to the fuse panel would be to run a wire above the false cealing in the kitchen not a pleasent job

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
What size protective device is there on the circuit at the moment?
The maximum size you can have on a 2.5 radial is 20A but this is subject to it's install factors.
If the wash m/c and drier were on at the same time and the F/F's compressor kicked in as well there is a chance of an overload.

2.5mm radial should not be fused higher than 20A.. so lets have a rough look at what you have loaded onto it..

PIR light ( 500W assuming? ) = 2A ( roughly )
Pond Pump ( no idea... ) lets assume it's not going to be more than 5A..
Fridge Freezer = around 10A ( guessing, never needed to know... )
dishwasher = 10A ( big heating element.. )

as your fridge freezer is only on intermitantly, as would be the PIR light, I'd say you're already at about it's limit..

if you add another 2 power hungry appliance to it then it will start to complain..

The Circuit is protected by a 16 amp fuse.

I guess i need to look at having the circuit changed to a ring main, thought as much. (or should i say feared as much)

Sponsored Links
Could i spur off the kitchen ring main for the washing machine and tumble drier.

Possibly, but don't put both of them on a double socket hence don't use a single spur. Better to extend the ring around.
Will be notifiable under part p.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back