outdoor circuit extending from indoor circuit

Just to continue the thread drift, it is only the DNO network that is governed by ESQCR, any fixed wiring in buildings etc. has to comply with BS7671

Sponsored Links
Regulation 110.2 of BS7671:2008 says "The regulations do not apply to the following installations: (i) Systems for the distribution of electricity to the public......"

• Thanks
Reactions: RMS
Just to continue the thread drift, it is only the DNO network that is governed by ESQCR, any fixed wiring in buildings etc. has to comply with BS7671

Yes, but if read the posts starspark was talking about the supply authorities network cables. Not fixed wiring in buildings.

Sponsored Links
I thought you had to have a double pole isolator in an external building which is not adjoined to a property?
IMO any supply going outside and sharing a circuit or an RCD with stuff inside should have a DP isolator inside the house, but AFAIK it's not required by the regulations.

It is how you interpret the regs, if you take an outbuilding as a separate installation then it requires all live pole isolation at the origin of it's supply, but as you say it is pretty much common sense that you'd want to be able to isolate from the house should the shed get water in the electrics and start tripping the RCD in the house.

Hello again,
so another way of doing this then is to spur off the internal socket and install a DP isolator inside the house.
Is it not possible to spur off the outsided socket (which is on the downstairs main ring) and install an outside DP isolator on the outside wall. This would aid fitting the SWA direct to the isolator.

If you just spurred off then the extension becomes an unfused spur which can only supply one accessory. If you use a fused spur you may fit more accessories all of which together will be limited to 13A max.
Also, DP switching is necessary so when it goes pear shaped you can simply turn it off in the house, if you get a decent enough switched fused spur unit then it will have a double poled switch on it.
Depending on how your electrician decides how to interpret it, you may also end up with another DP isolator in the shed.

If you just spurred off then the extension becomes an unfused spur which can only supply one accessory. If you use a fused spur you may fit more accessories all of which together will be limited to 13A max.
Also, DP switching is necessary so when it goes pear shaped you can simply turn it off in the house, if you get a decent enough switched fused spur unit then it will have a double poled switch on it.
Depending on how your electrician decides how to interpret it, you may also end up with another DP isolator in the shed.

Why does he have to fuse it down?

Depends what he wants, if a single accessory is fine then he doesn't have to fuse down the spur.
If he wants more than one accessory i.e. sockets and fixed lighting then it needs to be a 13A fused spur.

If he wants more than one accessory i.e. sockets and fixed lighting then it needs to be a 13A fused spur.
Why?
I think this exchange is going to confuse people. All Spark123 is saying is that an unfused spur of a ring final circuit is not allowed to supply more than one accessory, which we all know to be the case. Why are you questioning that?

Kind Regards, John.

All Spark123 is saying is that an unfused spur of a ring final circuit is not allowed to supply more than one accessory, which we all know to be the case. Why are you questioning that?

Kind Regards, John.

But the OP is wiring it in 4mm - do we still think that's the case?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back