outdoor circuit extending from indoor circuit

starspark how would you teminate this SWA into an already installed socket outlet in the property? what would be best practice for this to keep it part of the ring?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback guys. Think I've started a debate here!
I don't think I'll proceed with this project if I've to install a new circuit for this from the CU (Too much destruction required.) I really want to to tap into the existing house main ring. I will get a qualified electrician to come out, but I want to get everything right in my head first. So it is feasible to extend the ring outside. The shed would be fused for the socket and for the light.

Can a underground junction box be installed from the ring to a remote control switch for the LED lights (wired in series) ?

Many Thanks for your assistance

If the outside socket is on the rfc i would probably mount a sufficiently ip rated adaptable box next to the socket, gland into this with banjo eyelets or piranha nuts and make all necessary joints/connections in this and the socket.

And he didnt mention a 3 kw heater but thats like saying what if he wants to add this that and the other on a circuit just cos he might!!Besides leaving 7amps is more than adequate elrobbo

Sponsored Links
starspark are you there?:oops:

zzzzzz

elrobbo please dont begin trying to upset people AGAIN or you may find yourself banned AGAIN.
Maybe even beating your old elrobbo82 record of band in a week or your alter ego alovecollege!!
Try and be a bit more constructive.

Unlike what you seem to do i dont sit at my computer eagerly awaiting responses!!

I don't think I'll proceed with this project if I've to install a new circuit for this from the CU (Too much destruction required.)

don't worry, its un unnecessary to do it this way.

I really want to to tap into the existing house main ring.

This is possible. Your electrician will sort this out.

So it is feasible to extend the ring outside. The shed would be fused for the socket and for the light.

Yes.

Can a underground junction box be installed from the ring to a remote control switch for the LED lights (wired in series) ?

Try and take a new cable from the shed for these lights if possible. LED light kits quite often come as a kit with an adequate amount of cable for this.
If the lights are closer to the house then use the IP rated box as starpark suggested.

all connections have to be accessible. since you are getting a spark it will be better to discuss while he/she is on site.

If the outside socket is on the rfc i would probably mount a sufficiently ip rated adaptable box next to the socket

What part of that is not external??

Now your bothered about aesthetics?Before you wanted to rip up his house for an unnecessary new circuit!!

And now after all that you agree with the rfc connection!!
erm wow thanks!!
So were any of your posts necessary then??

Quick we need to call united utilities to rip up all the roads and reveal all there unacceptable joints!!
The electrical world will never be the same again with elrobbo!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

starspark
i have to apologize i obviously did not read your post properly. depending on where the consumer unit is with regards to the SWA then my suggestion could be beneficial. always nice to give more than one possible solution to a problem after all we are all engineers here.

again though onsite electrician will have the final say!!!

Not 100% sure what he is wanting, extend the ring circuit around the garden to include the shed?
Or an unfused spur from the ring to the shed?

Quick we need to call united utilities to rip up all the roads and reveal all there unacceptable joints!!
The electrical world will never be the same again with elrobbo!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

do united utilities work to BS7671?

rms

you are also right depending on the actual termination of the joints. my mistake.

Spark123,

I think he wants it kept on the rfc as he already has the ring of SWA in and would be more benficial to keep it on that as he has an outside socket that could be utilisied and also requires power and lighting(which could be fused down inside the shed).

elrobbo,
no idea about UU im no engineer just an approved electrician are you some sort of engineer etc please elaborate on your skills if you got it flaunt it!!
That would perhaps explain your over engineered method of wanting to rip someones house to pieces unnecessarily!!

So extend the Ring Final circuit around the garden to include sockets and lights in the shed? How do you go about isolation in the shed?
To me it is a very poor design, having the ring final circuit running outside hence a fault is going to trip the RCD including the sockets inside, clearing the fault is another headache.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back