Electric fires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problem at mil house regarding electric fires.
The house is pretty run down and the only heating is by electric fires.
Over the past 4 years they have gone through at least 3 maybe 4 electric fires which have given up the ghost. I should point out that sometimes these fires are left on all day but surely they should last longer than this.
I have suggested that they get an electrician in to sort it out but that suggestion has fallen on deaf ears.
The wiring is so bad that I am afraid that a something other than a electric fire malfunction is in the offing.
Could the fire failures suggest some underlying problem?.
I should point out that the fires light up so power is still going to the fires .

Sponsored Links
I can't immediately think of a way in which a problem elsewhere with the house electrics would make electric fires less reliable.

Were the failed fires the cheapest available?

I can't immediately think of a way in which a problem elsewhere with the house electrics would make electric fires less reliable.

Were the failed fires the cheapest available?
No, apparently they were in the £100 range,

do you mean electric fires?

Or do you mean convection heaters?

Energy from electricity is much more expensive than from gas, but if they have no gas, look for oil-filled electric radiators. They do not have exposed hot elements so are not a fire risk. They also give a more regular and even heat and can be turned down e.g. if heating a bedroom overnight.

At the end of winter they will be reduced to about 25% of list price to clear stocks.

I got several from Wickes, but the supermarkets, screwfix and sheds have them. They will be sold out the first cold week.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a prime candidate for storage heaters.

It would be useful to know what kind of heaters we're talking about exactly, as John somewhat implied, convection heaters are not the best, they're also not super reliable

Just to recap, the fires apparently cost from £200 upwards.
They do not/did not have open electric bars, so I suppose they are convector type with a motor blowing the heat out.
I agree that electricity is the most expensive and that storage heaters would be a better option and if it was my house I would certainly consider that.
All I want to know is it normal for electric fires to give up the ghost after only 12 months, or could it be due to some supply problem.

All I want to know is it normal for electric fires to give up the ghost after only 12 months, or could it be due to some supply problem.
For what it's worth, I would personally say that the answer to both those questions would be essentially 'No'.

Kind Regards, John

Just to recap, the fires apparently cost from £200 upwards.
They do not/did not have open electric bars, so I suppose they are convector type with a motor blowing the heat out.

Something like this?
http://www.wilko.com/heaters/dimplex-403tsftie-3kw-convector-heater/invt/0413455

If they paid around £200 for an electric heater, I think they were ripped off. Cheap and expensive ones are equally efficient.

I suppose the fan motor might have failed. Or maybe there is an overheat cutout that would trip e.g. if something was on top of close to the heater.

There is not much to go wrong in an ordinary heater.
http://www.wilko.com/search?q=convector&=Search#esp_sort=sys_price&esp_order=asc

http://www.wilko.com/search?q=oil+radiator&=Search#esp_sort=sys_price&esp_order=asc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back