Electric Wall Fire Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am soon to be buying a wall hung electric fire and was wondering how easy this would be to wire up and extend or is it advisable to get an electrician to do this?
The fire does come with a plug but where I want to position is not suitable to insert into 3 pin socket and want to extend or possibly hide cabling like in image.
Any advice would be appreciated as I am no expert but have read a few things on internet but still not sure.
This is the type of fire I am buying - electric fire

Sponsored Links
The type of wall mounted fire is installed using hanging brackets at the top and a securing plate at the bottom, a recess hole will also be required to be cut out of the wall, this depth is normally around 125mm (5").
It.
I would be possible to fit an outlet (13A FCU) from a ring final or radial circuit, within the recess providing ventilation and a the provision for a gap between outlet and fire where made to prevent mechanical damage and dissipation of heat between appliance and outlet.
Although not easily accessible, the outlet would be accessible for inspection/testing and maintenance, once fixing screw/screws are removed.
The downside of this would be that isolation of the fire would be behind the unit or the need to disconnect the circuit.
So I would suggest having a Switched FCU, external of the recess, this could be discretely positioned on the wall, then from there a cable could be run to a flex outlet plate within the recess hole or a maintenance free joint made behind the fire.
The cable will require to be routed within permitted safe zones (look in WIKI under installation techniques) and cable buried less than 50mm within wall will require RCD protection, if not mechanically protected. IOf socket is installed, then RCD protection would then be recommended regardless of cable installation.
There are also regulations for permitted chase depths.
Horizontal= no greater than 1/6th of leaf/skin of wall.
Vertical = no greater than 1/3rd of leaf/skin of wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back