Electric Fire - Hiding Cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have brought a wall hung electric fire to replace my gas fire. I am now ready to brick up (& vent) the fire place. To make the new fire look perfect I want to hide the cables. However this does not appear to be a simple task.....

Firstly if you cut the 3 pin plug off the fire, even to replace it with another 3 pin plug or to run the cable into an FCU this immediately voids the warranty.

Secondly running flex cable into an FCU is not allowed / safe?

Thirdly, I intended to install the FCU or socket on the left side face of my chimney breast (with the wall hung fire, hanging on the front face of the chimney breast). I was going to hide the cable inside the chimney breast before I brick it up. I would not just leave it flapping about but I would use a cable conduit of some sort in case the fire was ever removed. But again I read you are not allowed to hide cables behind walls (does this apply to a chimney)

So all in all, how do you hide the cable wall hanging fire:

1) To suit to building regs and keep the fire in warranty
2) To just suit building regs only (screw the fire warranty)

P.s I do not want to go to the expense of building a stud wall if possible.

Sponsored Links
Will there be a void under the fire ? Do the MI's give any instruction on cable position for the fire ?

Could you build a secret panel under the fire that serves as cavity suitable for a socket, and thus plug the lead in there- Maybe velcro or twist open fasteners for aesthetics.

Obviously the big issues are assess and proximity to a heat source, then there's access.

If your not bothered about warranty then a fused spur on the side wall with a hole through the wall towards the fire place centre feeding the plug removed end of the flex cable would be fine.

Reusing the lead is best because it will be designed for the load and should be heat resist, if that's necessary. Make sure the cable is routed in the correct way to avoid damage from the heating elements.

Wire a single socket located behind the fire (and accessible when the fire is removed, much like a built-in oven) and fed from a SFCU for isolation?

You do have the issue of the possibility of blowing the fuse in the plug and having to remove the fire to get to it though.

Sponsored Links
That's perfect. I've done loads of fires like that.

If someting has caused the fuse to go, the fire is going to need to come out any way, so there's no huge issue with having a fused plug behing the fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back