Wall hanging electric fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to avoid unsightly wires by wiring my wall fire directly into a fcu which will be positioned on the side of the chimney breast. I will be taking a feed for this fcu from the nearest socket on the ring. The fuse in the supplied plug (which i will be removing) is 13A.

my question is can i mount the new FCU on the plywood (4mm) that has been used to cover a large hole on the chimney breast, and feed the flex into the chimney up to the fire. if yes, what type of backbox can i use?

thanks

Sponsored Links
The large hole you refer to - is that where the open fire used to be?

And nooooo, you can't run cables up the chimney - that's reserved for flames....and of course Santa.

Is it a gas fire with electric ignition or a full electric fire?

Only a gas fire would use the chimney.

Sponsored Links
hi
full electric fire that advises i either use supplied plug or wire into a 13a FCU. the whole at front of chimney has been plastered up so the chimney will never be used as a smoking chimney in the future.
on the side of chimney breast is a 8inch sq hole where gas and water pipes once were for back boiler. this has been crudely covered with 3mm plywood on which i hope to recess the FCU and then feed the flex to the fire which is mounted on front of chimney.
Do the plasterboard backboxes grip as thin as 3mm or am i better off recessing a normal metal back box above this into brick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back