Plug on an Electric Fire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings,

A few quick questions on the Electrical fires available from the big stores.

- Is it possible to simply connect a 13A plug to the flex and off you go? I notice that B and Q have the following line on most all their Electric Fires.
"We recommend Electrical Fires be fitted by a qualified electrician".

But with one of their branded fires (Landscape, just under 200 quid I think), there's a line stating "Simple plug-in operation". To me, that implies simply sticking a plug on the unit, as opposed to connecting to a FCU. I have double socket either side of the chimney breast and I would prefer to simply plug a fire in rather that having to go the trouble of fitting a FCU.

The question is, if you can do that with the above fire, can you do that for most fires of similar Power ratings. The above gives out 1.9KW of heat. Is this therefore the power rating of the appliance.

Second question - Can you bury the flex which comes attached to the unit into the wall? Any safety issues regarding this?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I notice that B and Q have the following line on most all their Electric Fires.
"We recommend Electrical Fires be fitted by a qualified electrician".
CYA.

I have double socket either side of the chimney breast and I would prefer to simply plug a fire in rather that having to go the trouble of fitting a FCU.
Plug it in then.

The question is, if you can do that with the above fire, can you do that for most fires of similar Power ratings. The above gives out 1.9KW. Is this therefore the power rating of the appliance.
Unless it also puts out lots of light and noise, yes.

Second question - Can you bury the flex which comes attached to the unit into the wall? Any safety issues regarding this?
Why on earth would you want to do that? There are no safety issues provided you follow the structural rules for wall chases, and the electrical rules for the location of concealed cables, but it's very tacky. At some point the cable will be coming out of the wall, and into a plug which then plugs in.

FGS fit an FCU and do the job properly - don't be so ****** lazy.

Thanks in advance.
NP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back