Adding socket and FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a fairly modern house (2006) which had a gas fire installed in the chimney breast. The fire has been removed and the gas capped off by Gas Safe engineer. The fire place has been boarded up and I plan on having a 1.5 kW wall mounted fire with the TV above it. Is it permissible to add a 13A FCU yo the existing socket on the ring main and hardwire the fire to this, then run a double socket further up the wall for the TV as per my very rough drawing?

I'd grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Attachments

• Wall sockets.jpeg
    Wall sockets.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 42
Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies, yes I understood this would be the case to avoid exceeding the total current.

Sponsored Links
Not an electrical point as such, but you may wish to consider whether it is wise to install a TV above a fire. It could damage the TV. Also - another an unrelated point - I see countless wall-mounted TVs put far too high for comfortable viewing for someone sitting across an average room on a chair or sofa. I understand that standard advice is to mount the centre of the screen at the point your eyes would naturally look at if sitting as suggested.

When I first became aware of the craze to put a TV on a chimley breast I oft advised to check with the maker of the TV because I don`t think they would have allowed for a high ambient temperature around the TV.
Maybe nowadays some good makes do, I`m not sure.
Anyway, as said purely for an electrical point adding a point to a ring or radial is usually ok if you limit that total with a 13A fuse therefore the fire and the twin (or umpteen) sockets are on the fused side.

When I first became aware of the craze to put a TV on a chimley breast I oft advised to check with the maker of the TV because I don`t think they would have allowed for a high ambient temperature around the TV.

Plus the crick in the neck, from looking up all the time, watching the TV. I do actually have one TV, mounted high - the TV in the main bedroom hangs down, close to the ceiling, inclined at an angle. Perfect, for watching TV in bed, laid almost flat.

In the old traditional early 1900s terraced houses like I live in the TV used to go on top of cupboard next to chimley breast so was a bit on the high side above or about eye level. Then Tellys got legs and were on the floors so low down. The Chimley breast became fashion really fast once started.;)

For a lots of years no none had radios, they were called a wireless and valve operated 60s and 70s a radio became a popular name. but most stuff were still by valves the light, smell and sound of valves lingers. You had to switch your telly on for 10 mins before being able to watch the 66 World cup. (One of the two world cup football matches we won!)

You had to switch your telly on for 10 mins before being able to watch the 66 World cup. (One of the two world cup football matches we won!)

Then as electronics turned to transistors, the picture and sound appeared almost instantly, but now we are back to waiting, whilst the TV's boot themselves up.

Then as electronics turned to transistors, the picture and sound appeared almost instantly, but now we are back to waiting, whilst the TV's boot themselves up.
Yes and longer than the Valve TV a neighbour has recently disposed of.

It was not possible to put a cathode ray tube TV above fire on the chimney breast, but height and size does depend on the room, I have removed the brackets on chimney breast myself as I don't want the TV to dominate the room. But being high does allow one to view it even when there are chairs between one and the TV. With a living room 22 foot long TV being high is not really a problem.

We have an open fire, but I have a board in front of it and the exhaust of the portable AC is attached to it so I can run it without opening windows, I have never lit a fire in the grate, however it is there for emergencies should the oil fuelled CH fail. I don't really want to move the TV if we do want to light the fire.

Yes and longer than the Valve TV a neighbour has recently disposed of.
It does seem odd, we called are the amplifying devices valves, but we called the cathode ray display a tube? The old TV's had large resistors to drop the voltage, I know one broke and I found the smoothing iron was same resistance, so plugged the iron into TV to watch it, had to remember to set it to cotton or the thermostat would work just as the program was getting excited, however this does point out how much power they used.

Non of my TV's today use more than 200 watt and the screen size is well over the 22" which with cathode ray we thought was massive, hard to find a TV today under 28". The old 14" was great for bedroom, now the TV dominates my bedroom at 28".

Seems odd we still call the boxes used to watch TV set top boxes, but today I would not try balancing my DVD player or satellite box on the top of the TV, however I do have Blu-ray, Satellite, boxes which also need power, so the TV stand allows me to hide all the wires.

Absolutely.
First we had this long wait. Make sure you do not forget to warm it up before you can watch it.

Then hey presto, modern electronics made it almost instant.

Then move forwards, the dreaded boot up takes us back to where we used to be.

Just like fashions, things go in circles.

Interesting, valves stayed in transmitters for years after TV sets were all electronic.

Hands up those of us who are old enough to remember smashing up discarded TV sets to make the Cathode Ray Tube implode?
Wow quite a bang - although I will not admit to it (in the same way I will will not admit to making Gunpowder, or "Bucket Bombs" with two ingredients, flour bombs or boiling pop bottles full of a petrol/oil mix ) .
Putting asbestos sheets on fires - out in the open, bonfire nights were good for exploding asbestos, we knew it was dangerous back then in the 70s then we found out that it was even dangerouser than that.

Ooh , us miscreants had some fun before computers were invented . ;)

Wind up clockwork record players, ooh smashed loads up to watch the big spring go YOING, if we had kept `em would be worth a fortune now.
Quite clever speed control on the escapement mechanism, two balls spin and centrifugal force pulls them out to lift a lever to put a brake on, well made mechanics.

It does seem odd, we called are the amplifying devices valves, but we called the cathode ray display a tube?

In the US, they call valves tubes, I'm not sure what they call what we call tubes/CRT's.

Non of my TV's today use more than 200 watt and the screen size is well over the 22" which with cathode ray we thought was massive, hard to find a TV today under 28". The old 14" was great for bedroom, now the TV dominates my bedroom at 28".

I think you will find modern TV's use much less than 200w, I think our 50" uses <100w. I used to manage just fine, with a 14" CRT in the bedroom, now we have a 32". Were we still limited to 14", were they limited to 14" now, I'd be inclined not to bother watching - in part there is so much more detail in the pictures now, plus my eyes are maybe not as acute as they were.

Seems odd we still call the boxes used to watch TV set top boxes, but today I would not try balancing my DVD player or satellite box on the top of the TV, however I do have Blu-ray, Satellite, boxes which also need power, so the TV stand allows me to hide all the wires.

Our living room TV, sits exactly where I designed for our 28" CRT to go, I built a full width fireplace unit, angled to suit the TV in the corner. The big flat screen resides in the same corner, except now it is mounted on a cantilever bracket, rather than sat on top of the unit, with the STB's, router etc., stacked up behind the TV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back