Adding a double socket to an existing one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I am wanting to install a fake chimney breast for the purpose of having a recessed wall mounted TV and fire. I have a double wall socket. What I want to know is if I can add an extra socket and possibly some down lights inside the studded wall coming of the double socket I have.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Andy

Sponsored Links
pic

Attachments

• 20200218_102429.jpg
    20200218_102429.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 291
Last edited by a moderator:
It's called a spur socket and should be relatively simple to wire. Google for instructions :)

As for the lights, you'll probably want to use a lighting circuit and have a switch (or use an existing one) to turn them on and off.

So I am wanting to install a fake chimney breast for the purpose of having a recessed wall mounted TV and fire. I have a double wall socket. What I want to know is if I can add an extra socket and possibly some down lights inside the studded wall coming of the double socket I have.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Andy

It depends whether the existing socket is part of a ring, is a radial, or already a spur off a ring.

A TV above a fire is not a good idea for over heating reasons.

Sponsored Links
It depends whether the existing socket is part of a ring, is a radial, or already a spur off a ring.

A TV above a fire is not a good idea for over heating reasons.
It is also not a good idea to have a TV above eye level when seated as the need to look up could cause neck problems, over time.
Also, you will have infra red light from the fire in your eyes when the fire is operational.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back