Number of outputs from a FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Currently we have a fan assisted flu gas fire. There is an FCU about 3 feet away from the fire (for the fan in the fire) next to a double plug socket. I have not looked but guessing it's a spur from the ring main. We are replacing the fire surround and the wife mentioned one which has low voltage lights on the underside of the surround (pointing down towards the fire). Is it possible to connect 2 cables from the FCU, the current one for the gas fire and a new one for the feed for the lights in the surround? If this is not permitted, what is my best option for getting power for the lights. There is another plug about 8 feet away on the wall perpendicular to the wall which the gas fire is on. If needs must, I could take a spur from this to a new FCU, then to the lights, but it would be easier, less destructive to take feed from the fires FCU.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Yep you can supply the lights from the existing FCU.

I presume there will be a 3amp fuse in the FCU if it is just supplying a powered flue.

Do you know how the fire is currently connected to the FCU?

Does the flex go directly to the FCU, or is there some sort of connection point in the fireplace?

Thanks for replying RF. I have not had the face plate off the FCU so don't know how it is connected. Guessing it is just a straight connection between the fire and the FCU.

Just out of interest, what is the maximum number of cables (feeds) that can be taken from one FCU?

As many as you can safely fit into the terminal.

I wouldn't like to see more than two wires in a terminal like that.

I was thinking, to keep things simple for you, if there was a joint box in the fireplace supplied from the FCU, you could connect the lights into there.

If not, I don't see a problem with running a second cable to the FCU.

Sponsored Links
As many as you can safely fit into the terminal.

I wouldn't like to see more than two wires in a terminal like that.

I was thinking, to keep things simple for you, if there was a joint box in the fireplace supplied from the FCU, you could connect the lights into there.

If not, I don't see a problem with running a second cable to the FCU.

Thanks. Never thought about taking a feed from the actual fire. Would probably have to remove the fire though to gain access. Worth a though, thanks. Would it be ok to use flex instead of twin and earth, assuming 2 core and earth 1.0m^2 flex would be ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back