Adding FCU on exterior wall via the outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to install an Electric Fire on an exterior wall in the existing fire place where a gas fire has previoulsly been.

I want hide the electric cable as much as possible, so ideally I would like to add a FCU spur from an existing double socket (on the ring circuit) which is on the same exterior wall.

Instead of chasing out or using trunking, is is possible / permitted to route the cable from the back of the double socket, through the wall to the outside, along the wall (approx 3m) and then back into the house to the new FCU located next to the fireplace? I guess I would have to use exterior rated cable and ensure that the two holes were properly sealed with silcone type sealent.

If it is possible, does this need to be notified as the cable runs outside?

Many thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
You could use SWA, steel wire armoured, cable.

The easiest and best way is to use an outdoor gland on the cable terminated to a galvanised conduit end box. Here you will have a hole in the back of the box, with the inner cable passing through this, and through the wall to inside. Then strip the sheath of the inner cable to reveal the 3 cores. Repeat other end.

It is important to earth the armouring. This is achieved using a 4 mm earth cable from inside to the earth terminal in the end box. Use a crimp lug and a decent crimping tool to achieve this. Repeat other end.

The cable hole in the end box should be filed off nicely, and all holes and gaps neatly sealed. A gasket is fitted between the end box and the lid.

Cleats are used to clip the cable to the wall.

If you have a wooden floor, consider running a twin and earth cable to the fire position.

or a bit of conduit with a couple of terminal boxes on either end.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

Having now researched further, SWA is certainly an option.

Whilst looking for SWA on the internet, I have come across HiTuf Cable. Would this be suitable - I realise this does not have the same Mechanical Protection but as it is going to be clipped to the wall at least 50cm from ground level and therefore visible and away from hungry rodents, i don't see this as a problem. Having measured the distance now -there will also only be about 80cm of cable exposed outside.

I may be wrong, but HiTuf certainly seems a little easier to connect up without the need for external junction boxes, conduit etc - is that right, all connections could be made inside the house.

I also should have probably mentioned that the ring circuit is RCD protected at the Consumer unit.

Thank you again

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back