Safe? Legal?

My fault, you're right.
The MAIN MCB switches off literally everything.
The Shower MCB switches off the Oven
And then the Upstairs Downstairs Kitchen sockets are controlled by the respectively marked MCBs

Sponsored Links
My fault, you're right.
The MAIN MCB switches off literally everything.
The Shower MCB switches off the Oven
And then the Upstairs Downstairs Kitchen sockets are controlled by the respectively marked MCBs
I predict it used to be a RCD and due to 'false tripping' got changed to a MCB

EDIT: and there was another RCD in the other hole.

and there was another RCD in the other hole.

Does “MAIN” turn off the lights and heating, i.e. the things at the left end of the board?

You should get someone to come and add RCDs.
As Sunray suggests, adding the RCDs could be the easy bit; there may be a problem elsewhere that causes it to trip and finding that could take some time.

Sponsored Links
So, as I'm gonna do this now, going back to my original post :

I have a double socket inside the back room which has a plug and cable that leads through the wall to power the exterior garden lights via a transformer. Can I cut the cable outside and feed it in as a power supply to an exterior double socket if I attach one on the exterior wall?

I'm looking to power a 50w floodlight and I'm assuming I can put a cable and plug on that and plug it in outside but still be able to control from the inside as that socket is switched.

Question: I was looking to use SWA cable to run from the plug socket inside, through the wall and into the double exterior socket, is this ok, is that the right thing to use? And then from the floodlight to the exterior socket I guess I need to use the same?
Thanks

Just to add I will use an RCD adapter in the interior socket.

If you're drilling through the back of the socket you can just use Twin and Earth and have the socket where the hole is drilled out on the outside wall and just use black flex for your floodlight. SWA isn't required and will be trickier to terminate and use.

If you post a few photos it will help to determine the best way of doing it by us.

Hole is already drilled, as was previously here. I wanted to put the exterior socket higher up than the existing hole so it's away from splashing water off of the floor.

The floodlight will go next to the other lamp on the wall
Ta

Attachments

• 20201111_120307.jpg
    20201111_120307.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 20201111_120327.jpg
    20201111_120327.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 77
Here's the lights we've already got installed outside (not on an rcd!). These are 9.1w bulbs but they don't light up the garden which is 10 metres long.

Essentially I just want to light the garden so we don't have a solid black gloom when we look out the windows as we don't use curtains. We've got string lights around the perimeter but they're not much cop.

I know screwfix have 20w bulbs, I could just replace the bulbs, but they are the same design as these bulbs, i think they're designed to hang down from the ceiling rather than be in lamps outside. All the light must be projected out the top of the bulb so the light just gets absorbed by the solid black top of the lantern.

The other thing would be to just replace these 2 lanterns with a couple of 20w floodlights but I'm not sure what sort of power they will have, if they'll light up the garden or not. The 50w I have already bought is much bigger (in size) than I expected.

Hmmmmm options!

Attachments

• 16050965740637024126259706139099.jpg
    16050965740637024126259706139099.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 68
There are a number of ways to do this. (a few Below)

One option would be to chase out a Single Back box next to the Double socket and have a Fused connection unit that could have an RCD though it won't be the same type of face place as your socket (and might look a bit Sh!t). Using the hole already there you could cable straight to the Light Fed from it.

Another option would be to do the same but run a Twin and Earth cable through an external box & into external conduit to the outside socket.

Another option is to change the Double socket for an RCD type and run a cable straight to the light with a Plug (a bit of a DIY bodge but easy to remove if you sold the property) and simply switch it on and off inside. Some Sparks would spit out their coffee seeing this

Do you need an Exterior Socket? Why are you worried about it getting splashed as it has a high IP rating to cope with it. What is that Brass hook attached to the wall for a Gate or something?

All sounds like a lot of effort, might just replace the existing lights with floodlights, has to be the easiest solution.

(Don't judge me on the 'effort' I am struggling with things at the moment)

Yeah the external socket would just make life easier when cutting the grass, using tools, charging the bike battery etc. I've done without it for 12 years so won't complain at not having one.

The brass hook is for the French doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back