Safe? Legal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a double socket inside the back room which has a plug and cable that leads through the wall to power the exterior garden lights via a transformer. Can I cut the cable outside and feed it in as a power supply to an exterior double socket if I attach one on the exterior wall?

I'm looking to power a 50w floodlight and I'm assuming I can put a cable and plug on that and plug it in outside but still be able to control from the inside as that socket is switched.

Sound OK? Or does the floodlight need to be wired in differently?

Thanks
K

Sponsored Links
Well don't cut the cable while it's still connected. Sounds a bit of a bodge but you could do this if you wanted though, has the circuit got an RCD?

Sponsored Links
Fuse box photo attached

Attachments

• 20201107_211920.jpg
    20201107_211920.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 318
That does not contain any RCDs, and far more importantly - those massive holes in the front should not be there, live parts are exposed.

The holes need to be filled with the appropriate blanks. They should have been there since that consumer unit was installed.

A plug in RCD is better than nothing, but all sockets that could be used for outside items should have a permanently installed RCD, preferably in the consumer unit. That has been a requirement for almost 30 years, suggesting no one has inspected or tested anything there for a very long time.
The 32A shower MCB appears to have overheating damage on the top edge.

Shoddy work, I'm not surprised. I've come across some right dodgy workmanship from the guy we bought the house from in the 12 years we've lived here. In fact hang on, I'll just go and do a photo of the rest of the power supply...

There are 5 downlighters in the bathroom, I assume that's what the 'shower' mcb refers to, but I've only 2 working bulbs in the lights as it's just too bright, could that be a reason for the overheating?

No, don't think I have an electric shower. There's certainly no box in the bathroom or anywhere else in the house that I know of. Shower is a Mira that is provided water straight from the Combi boiler.

Most likely the MCB marked Shower is unused, then.
Turn it off and see what stops working.

Looking at the pictures - we’ve seen much worse.

I’m not convinced the main earth is actually attached to the clamp on the PILC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back